Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Something odd found

just some pictures..

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: Something odd found

Ok,....looks like a pottery bowl. What do you make of it?

Not sure if "odd" is the right description, Unique or rare might better better fit the find. Like many
unique ( great ) finds, more questions than answers result.
Thats a pretty limited test hole, what prompted choosing that particular spot ? If flint, what type or age does it reveal.?
If thats East TX soil, is it far enough over to be a Mississippian artifact ? If so there are research
texts available to help identify your piece.

Naturally answers dont have to be answered here but it would be a nice follow up to see a pic of the
bowl without a heaping meal of sand in it!

Good show

There it is, , , ,very first listing of many.
Google " MISSISSIPPIAN AGE POTTERY "
. . .

Let me start and say No it not a grave and no human bones found.I just got landowner ok to dig.With in one hour of test digging I found this caddo pot.I was looking for arrowheads but now I have to rethink how I am going to go about this site.I have the pot out to dry before clean the dirt out of the pot.If anyone who knows me would know I more about caddo pottery then most professionals.I am going to have to talk to some archaeology friends and see what needs to be done with the site.

Sounds like a very reasonable approach, I just hope that your talking to your archeology friends won't lead to unwanted problems for the land owner, being they were nice enough to let you dig. Good Luck & Best Wishes!

I don't understand if you know exactly what it is you would put something odd found? It sounds like you know exactly what is, I was just wondering! Cool find, I would love to see it cleaned up, I've never seen a caddo pot!