Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Texas Archaeology bulletin Vol 25 do you have one?

I also like to read and collect any Texas archaeology books.This is the original 1954 Vol 25 Caddo pottery and arrowhead type book.I think it been reprinted 4 or more times.I think reprints still sell for around $100.00 or more.I payed $500.00 for the original many years ago and have never seen another one offered for sale.Just wondering if anyone else has seen one?I say it is a must have book if you like Caddo pottery.This was like finding some rare arrowhead they are hard to find.

Photobucket

Re: Texas Archaeology bulletin Vol 25 do you have one?

I've got some old artifact books but not that old. I'll be on the lookout for it though.

Interesting Steve, I sure dont have ( or seen ) one. Thats a real collectors type of item, Like Jolleen thats homing in on the Overstreets books.

Is there a current publication that covers the same ground PLUS any findings and observations over the
last half a century that will be a collectors item fifty years down the road. ?

This is the first time I have seen the 1954 edition. I have the 1962 printing entitled Handbook of Texas Archeology: Type Descriptions edited by Dee Ann Suhm and Edward Jelks. Great book. When I started digging in the 1970's, this was the only resource around for typology and I guess remains the only resource for pottery. Occasionally I still see it for sale on some of the online rare book sites.

The first was the blue book and then the 62 looseleaf and last a paperback.I have 2 of the looseleaf one for looking and the other for the collection.They sure do want to keep the pottery on the down low because they have not done much on pottery updates.Wait I forgot they "Archaeologist" can't or won't dig them anymore.

The 1954 Handbook (Vol. 25) has just been reprinted
by Gustav's Library (easily found on the internet)
and sells for $29.95/copy. It is a facsimile copy of Vol. 25, but with a new cover (not "ol' blue") and binding. This and some other major Texas archaeology
volumes have been reprinted by Gustav, in an agreement with the Texas Archeological Society.

My online book store "Seco Books" is easily found by going to ABE Books on the internet. I have lots publications on Texas archaeology, for all parts of the State.

And maybe the only 1st ed. of Dan Davis for sale on the web.

Tom Hester

Thanks Dr. Hestor, you're always a wealth of good information. I'm always looking for new and old archaeological books dealing with Tx history. I've amassed a large library but there's always more that I didn't know existed.
Pottery is something that though it has been out there for a long time, just doesn't get that much recognition. I'll be looking at add a few books on that subject to my collection.