Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Multiple bird point ID needed

Just bought these at a garage sale for $100.. I cant figure out the ID on them.. The old timer said he found them in arkansas.. But haven't had any luck IDing them.

Re: Multiple bird point ID needed

You may of overpaid for that bunch, looks to me like saharan points, others will tell for certain.

The guy lied to you if he told you he found the points. There is no doubt that they are neolithic. I have handled several thousand of these points. These are nice points but they sell for a lot less money. The seller should not lie about where they come from.They are not worth near as much as the points from the states as there are a lot of them out there. If you look at these points and study them you will not have that happen to you again as they have a very distinct shape. They are 3000 to 5000 years old.

I was wondering why I couldn't ID them.. The guy had me fooled I guess. He was probably in his 80's though so I believed him.

Ian, The points are still ok and real collectable. I have a large collection of them. There are a lot of collectors of this type of point. They will go up in value as time goes by. A lot of the real nice ones go for a lot of money right now. The only thing is the collectors of this type of point should be honest as what they are. You can get a real nice collection of Neolithic points reasonable right now. Now is the time to get them if you like this type of point. The average good ones go for 3.00 to 5.00 each. The same points from the states are 20.00 up.

Haha Alright. I can't believe I got conned by a 80 year old man. He was asking $25 a piece for them at first.

Good Call JHW, they look typically south african to me. I'm a bit surprised that the old man did that to you Ian. JHW and RGS are right, you did pay a premium for those. People at garage sales don't usually ask that much for arrowheads, and most of them don't know what they really have anyway.

haha I am sticking to texas points from now on =)

Thats thu Spirit Ian! This reminds me of when DJ got rooked at the antique shop about a year ago. Just chock it up to experience my friend, most of us have also been rooked at one point or another. But thats the great thing about this site, Lots of good folks here with alot of experience, and we won't let you down!

Ian, i've bought literally thousands of points over the years, and yes i've been duped too. Moral of the story, never over pay for points, no matter who's spinning their story. You'll hear more lies than truth, especially if there is money involved. I've learned to never get caught up in the moment, if it appears too good to be true, well you know the rest of the story. There are bargains to be had, so keep on looking.

Classic story Ian but it's some consolation to know they are real.
The yearly "Gem, Mineral & Fossil" show in Tucson AZ is the major outlet for dealers small, large, and just the general public to stock up on various goods that they will treasure or resell.

I was out there this past Feb. The following pics are from just ONE dealer of perhaps 50 citywide that offer similar points.

Photobucket

Little closer, these are the least expensive catagory, The select ones are in the boxes in the glass cases !
Photobucket

I am just glad the mystery is solved... I will only buy arrowheads from flint shows for now on =) The first show I went to was here in fredericksburg I think back in febuary? I bought a couple from there and I really like them.. Who sells the arrowheads in the individual vanilla envelopes? I got one from him I really like.

That would be me Ian!

Nice Mike! Thanks for helping solve all my arrowhead mystery's and general kindness =)

Ian

Thats what I'm on this site for,....and Thank You for

the good feed back comment as an artifact show vendor!

I just thought of a different view of your collection, good news and bad news.
IF we say each piece has a present day retain price of around $5. --- Thats $55. Not too bad at all
against your investment. . .as we speak their value is increasing so in a few yrs your your even then start to make money...

The bad News. . . That silvery artifact in the middle is LOSING value as we speak. . . in a few yrs your
probably looking at ,o4 cents !

haha nice SH. So technically the $100 investment is really only going to be a $25 investment in a few years =P But hey the bird points are increasing in value ;)