Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
question.....

as posted on feb /march 2010.... there is a picture of a rock.,.... quote~

"Hello from Little Rock. This past Saturday I was searching a washed out stream bed in Saline County, Arkansas, and found this unusual "fire starter" stone. The drill holes are so small that a local expert told me that he was almost certain this was used as a fire starting rock with the natives using a pump drill.
A little different artifact, but a great find for me.
Keep up the good postings! -Dan J. "

can someone if they know, explain how this could be a fire starter rock>... I've come across plenty of rocks with one , 2 or more similar rounded out holes.... like your pinky would fit perfect.

Thanks in advance!

Re: question.....

Darn, I wuz waiting for somebody else to cover this one ! I remember the rock but Looking back I cant find it.
I assumed "fire rock" as the finder describes is in reference to a stone that would be used to stabilise and put pressure on the stick being turned by the bow.

Twntieth century Boy scouts used to use a bottle cap imbedded in wood. Twentfirst century scouts use matches.

As I remember the rock in question had several "holes", I dont like that for authenticity.
Also if any such tool was not actually dug from a camp I would question the tool aspect.

Re: question.....

Great... thanks for your input... as i stated.. i believe to be on a camp.... and have found many stone tools, arrowheads, some pottery and alot of petrified wood.... also have seen and held several of these types of rocks... some that look similar in color to his.. with the red fading to yellow~..

Thanks agian,