Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Camp question??

I read a post a few days ago that sparked my thinking. I have always noticed that the older camps are closer to the rivers/camps... And the hilltop camps are usually newer time period camps... So, why would the paleo and early archaic people camp near the creek/rivers to avoid preditors??? gracias.

Re: Camp question??

Travis, the paleo stuff we find over here in bastrop county is on the highest hills around! Pretty far from water, but the water might have been closer and bigger then! My take on it is water was more abundent then, multiple springs and more flow, as man progressed water became less and less! In present times we are pulling water out of the ground at an amazing rate, that means many springs and flow have been stopped or altered! I also seem to find more less aged camps closer to water! I think paleo camps are far and few between so who knows, just a theory in these neck of the woods! Old timers say the paleo camps are to insure goods views to prevent danger, but it's just a theory! Water could have been there too, springs and such!

thanks Clutton. Good food for thought.

I agree with Cluton, river courses change as does the game and how it travels.
I doubt we had any mastodons down in this area but if we did during Paleo days, I wouldn't want to camp near a river. I'd rather be up on a hill so I could see them a long ways off. Nothing hurts more then getting stepped on by a hairy elephant.

Hi Travis I'm from the north country and here all the paleo sites I find are in lower area's. Most do have a good field of vision and all are on really sandy soil. The Scottsbluff and Eden sites seem to be about 20 miles apart with the Folsom sites a bit closer. When you find a true Scottsbuff site the amount of points will amaze you. I don't really think they worried about Mastodon's to much as they hunted them. I'm sure they did worry about the Short faced Bear and Dare Wolf's and they didn't climb trees. Here the only trees were along the creeks and rivers. This is just my veiw on Paleo Indians. I'm also sure that every area can be different. I do know if you do find a true site there will be lots of interesting things in it. I hope this helps you. Keep looking

Travis, I find your question quite valid, and I do not want to derail your train of thought on it, as I think I can shed some light on it.
In Paleo times, yes there were dangerous animals around, but humans were peaceful with other humans. All of that changed towards the end of the late archaic with an increase competition for game, and a general decline in the wildlife. With the decline of large game, and more indians hunting that ever before, the great communities of peoples broke apart and separated into numerous small bands. This led to great competetion for food, and directly in to conflict with each other. From the woodland, all the way into the historic, Indians were at war with indians, and american settlers showing up only added to their plight. With this said, now to answer your question. The newer camps on higher ground, were also typically smaller as well. When you are at war with other people, you want camps with good views around you, because you cannot afford the element of surprise attacks. You want to be able to see what is coming so you have time to decide whether to flee, or stand your ground. It is said, that indians killed way more indians, than settlers.

SSSssso....a large determining factor for camp location was pure survival considerations and not so much creature comforts.

One factor I dont see much in analysing camp locations. . .is the Folliage at different age times. We all can see how waterways vary over 10,000 years BUT consider the need for fire wood 365 days a year. Depending on number of individual families to a camp, feeding fires 365 days a year would have denuded the local area right down to grass roots.

Hal I thought of that before! I've been told there were less trees and more prairie also! When I say far from water I'm only talkin a few hundred yards from a waterway, and I consider close to water camps right on water! Should have clarified myself! I think the big hills were also to get breezes and Mosquitos at bay, and for view! When I think campsite I look for warm weather camps, I have found a few winter sites, but they seem to be little with less artifacts? Maybe it's just by chance! Great point on needing wood, dang your a sharp oldtimer!:)

It's a little different down here then in your neck of the woods Travis. The camp sites that we find have everything, Paleo to Pre-Historic at the same camp. The camps are generally located between the flint hills and the river or creek.
The camp sites that I've found have Angostura and Perdiz laying next to each other. Of course, we got stuck with the hillbilly Indians down here. Couldn't even build a midden.

we were walking the tops of some large hills yesterday on the ranch we dig hoping to find a cave that is supposed to be there,but no luck on the cave.Anyway at the very to of one hill we found alot i mean alot of flakes and big chunks of flint spread out along one section of the hill,we also found a scraper and almost positive the middle section of an angostura.what i found kind of odd is at the highest point on the hill there was a about four feet of dirt were as everywhere else along the hill was nothing but lime stone and cedar. i dug down alittle ways and found few flakes of flint.and what seemed to be a few chunks of midden rock with lot of smaller pebbles of rock ,i was just wondering how the dirt did not wash away over the years and if this could be a camp or maybe a place they just set and made there points while on the look out.going to dig it more next weekend,just curios if this place could hold treasures. thanks!

Hey Travis , In New Mexico there was not as much water as in central Texas , the streams that go through the places we hunt do not have as many middens as up on the hilltops , i used to wonder why they did not camp next to the water , my own conclusion was that if they camped next to water it would keep the game from coming in to drink , that would really limit the food supply for the camps ,but thats just my thought !