Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
metal ore grindstone/hammerstone found in midden

dont know what it is made out of exactly,but is heavy.Any ideas?

just a few scrapers.

Re: metal ore grindstone/hammerstone found in midden

Google Markasite. A natural iron sulfide mineral. So heavy it's always amazing that it's not magnetic.
The pics you may find on Google would show that when it was still in the limestone matrix, the entire surface was completely pimpled ( the reverse of a golf ball )
If found in a camp context it may well have been smoothed by the finder. Or in a drainage, natured tumbled it smooth.
A few examples have been found in the last couple of yrs with a groove pecked all the way around, said to be a bolo stone.
If you find a similar one elsewhere, crack it right in half with a cold chisel, it's got a beautiful "starburst" pattern design.

Good scrapers, lots of work evidence. Whats the thing with the hole ? Paint pot or bed post knob

its a natural paint bowl,still full of paint. it was a surface find on the family farm,not sure if the indians used it but there has been a few points found back in the day nearby,i look from time to time still havent found a point of my own there yet.

I have 1 of these dippled rocks found in an overhang in Meridian Tx...always wondered what it was...thanks! SH

Today at Chrisners I had the pleasure of meeting a man that has actually dug a METEORITE out of a burned rock midden indian camp. It has been professionaly certified.

Picture of a picture is the best I can do until he sees this posting and maybe gives us a closeup.
It's the lower dark item.

Digger Amis from Okalahoma . . . .. .

Photobucket

He says both ends show a "hammering" effect. The boys probably coundn't believe that a "stone" wouldn't flake

Thats ALVIN from Oklahoma ( OkAl )