Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Anyone have any painted pebbles for sale?

Wanting to pick up a couple more to add to a frame. I know some of you hunt southwest texas, so thought I would ask here. Thanks.

Re: Anyone have any painted pebbles for sale?

I dont have any at the moment but I could come up with some in about a week.

Whats you favorite color ?

Someone post a picture of a painted pebble!!

Photobucket

that's funny i do think my daughters 1st grade class did a project similar for mothers day , you can probably trade for some hot wheels or one "my little pony " doll

I saw several of those in an old edition of the La Tierra South Texas archaeology magazine. They are awesome and rare artifacts. I have an etched pebble that was found in Pecos County near Fort Stockton. I plan to bring it to the Temple show, and would be glad for you to see it. Paul Kinyon

Paul Kinyon
I saw several of those in an old edition of the La Tierra South Texas archaeology magazine. They are awesome and rare artifacts. I have an etched pebble that was found in Pecos County near Fort Stockton. I plan to bring it to the Temple show, and would be glad for you to see it. Paul Kinyon

If rare can be measured by number of Google listings, these are REALLY rare !
Now that Mike has brought them out of the closet, this time next week there could be thousands of listings from Ebay sellers !

I've only seen one, found by a coworker near Knippa. It had a similar design to the second one above. He found it nearly 30 years ago on the Nueces river.

Two weeks ago I never even heard of "painted rocks"....
Now I just found another one at the Luling show, , , ,
Photobucket

Paul Kinyon

FINALLY, Paul's painted rock made it to it's new home...with Badger ( Paul gave me the "etched" stone at the Temple show to pass along to Badger...)
She's THRILLED

Photobucket

Here's a bit closer of the gift...the two most obvious "etching lines", under strong microscope are actually miniscule SNAILS. good eyes might make out the spirals. The hole is man made and the object was probably on it's way to become a pendant ( probably broke while being worked on )

Photobucket

Sorry about the long delivery delay Paul, I had to wait my turn for an opening in her social schedule.

i have a red painted stone that i found on the same dig i found the andice. on a nacho dig, but it looks like a piece of a jig saw puzzle, im going home this weekend . i will post a pic under the classification of" is this what you want". very unusual! not a pebble and not a golden mono.tttthhhhppppttttt.

Well, now I have learned something new. I never looked at it under magnification. Snails!! I appreciate your attention to detail. Reminder, found in Pecos Co. near Ft. Stockton. Paul

Thank you, Hal, for making the delivery AND figuring out what it really is...pendant. Well Done!! Paul

Wait... Are those bear teeth going for 50$ a piece? If so I may have amassed a small bear tooth fortune.

A friend of a friend is a 88 year old man who has about a twenty acre place along a creek near Medina, Tx. This guys most favorite thing is walking along his creek looking for painted pebbles, and he has found more than Thirty of them. I asked my friend if his friend was interested in selling them. The old timer was intrested to know what they were worth, but was not intrested in selling any of them. I later got to see some photos of them, and they were Really Good.
At any rate, evidently the Medina area is a good area to look for them.

Mike Warton
A friend of a friend is a 88 year old man who has about a twenty acre place along a creek near Medina, Tx. This guys most favorite thing is walking along his creek looking for painted pebbles, and he has found more than Thirty of them. I asked my friend if his friend was interested in selling them. The old timer was intrested to know what they were worth, but was not intrested in selling any of them. I later got to see some photos of them, and they were Really Good.
At any rate, evidently the Medina area is a good area to look for them.

Medina may be the cutural hub where all the leading artists gathered but good ideas travel. I'm now wondering how many millions of painted pebbles now reside in all the Texas throw piles ?
Hand dig or screen, everyone checks anything found in a camp context Looking for any holes, etchings and evidence of human work. BUT that dark gray paint would not show up unless the rock was really cleaned.
Further observation, grinding minerals and formulating a batch of paint would produce much more paint than is needed for one of the small rock examples shown.
Each artist might have produced 5 to 10 canvases at a sitting.
There could be THOUSANDS of pebbles to be discovered that a hundred years of surfacers have missed...
Just a matter of turning the pebbles over

I agree Hal, just never think about it while screening. There's no telling how many got chunked or left on the table because they were just more dirty gravel. Something else to think about beside points.

Google: Bonfire Shelter, Painted pebbles.

Be sure to look at the Lower Pecos Exhibit

Redman
Google: Bonfire Shelter, Painted pebbles.

. . . BINGO

michael walker
Wanting to pick up a couple more to add to a frame. I know some of you hunt southwest texas, so thought I would ask here. Thanks.

is this what you want.no design but painted red.
defaultdefault
not to mention the petrified finger.if we lived in montana i would say it had clout.

Could these qualify as radical "painted" pebs ?

Photobucket

Or just Jurassic Easter eggs ?