Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
after lunch find...knife or blade or what?

Photobucket

ok we went back out after lunch and after the clouds passed...let me know what you think about this one...knife...or what?

Re: after lunch find...knife or blade or what?

Looks like you found a surface hunters dream site.
Could be a knife or scraper, how thick is it?

this one is very thin the back side is almost flat wtih very little signs of knapping but it is there. I will try and get a shot of it after supper. i would say its not even a quarter inch thick. the patina on the other side is almost solid compared this front side.
i was wondering about the black on the rocks because I have never really seen a good site area and out here where I am at the wind and rain comes hard and fast so i dont know if that has anything to do with the appearance of the rocks i kept looking for what looks like what i have seen in the hill country pictures. i have noticed in some of the wash out areas that there is a darker layer of dirt instead of the red clay beds or the red blow sand that is xommon here I am hoping to dig in one of those areas as well. several years back we had flash floods that actually filled the draws up around us, which was totally unreal for me as I have lived in this part of the county all my life and have never seen that much water in the draws. so perhaps it was the wshing o fthe land that has allowed some of htese to be found now. anyway, thanks and i will let you know what comes up nest.

Photobucket

this is the back side..and i was srong about the thinness..its only thin on the edges...measured thickness is 3/8"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

ok that takes care of this one!

More pics clarify, if it was mine I would call it an "or what"

Just like top quality gauge tools, a flat face with resharpening flakes broken away exactly duplicated the
finest blades found on modern wood planes and Chisels.

I think it's a quality hide scraper.