Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Finger cutters~

I believe i saw a post or a pic of a guy who had about 4 or 5 little flakes that looked to be worked as some sort of finger scrapper. Reason i ask, is i was looking through a plate of chips and came across two that possibly could be used in that manner.. they fit in the fingers perfect,.. i'll have pics in a few.. . has anyone heard of anything that small for that use?.. i'm sure its possible.....

chris

Re: Finger cutters~

some small flakes were used as small knives. i call them thumb-nail scrapers. i have half a dozen or so. they are rich in the valley i dig. hope i helped...

awww.. thumbnail scrapper....thats sounds right!... . i mean.. i'm no expert by all means... .. I'll be uploading the pics for the yeah's and neah's.....

cant wait to hear what ya say... shoot could just be chips for all i know~.... bring it to the experts!

thanks guys,

Fingers, thumbs, pinky toes....Any size flint flake can be pressed into service, just the amount of identifiable
"work" seperates a piece of junk flint, from a tool.

The fatty on the right I would call a fat knife. It's pretty difficult to work down the middle of a small piece of flint, so I suspect that the owner wanted it fat

The one thing All of the archeologists I ever knew had to say about this is that anything that could cut well was of value to someone. I often remember this when I find little caches of quarter to half dollar size flakes in more quantity that it took to knap a point.

THATS what I was trying to say....Mike just put it more eloquently.

I was looking up Mike's Scottsbluff find in the money book and there was SCRAPER on the same page.........

To my surprise, there's a THUMB ( finger ) scraper no larger than a dime....value .50 - 1.00

wild.... well i finlly got mine up.. here..

again, my wife was making a nice plate of chips...i just happen to finger through em and pulled these out.

you can see the serrated edge a little on this.. but its with my phone.. sorry for the quality~.

the other...

like you said.. your right.. anything you can pick up and use.. they probably did...no telling...

thanks for looking guys~... i wont be out hunting till weekend after next... I'll post what i find... oh

and lastly.. my son found this......he runs it up to me.. dad, dad... look..x marks the spot.. I'm like where did you find it???.. I DON'T REMEMBER!!!.ggrrr....lol.. buried treasure..who knows~ but cool find. up close, they look almost done by a knife..

thanks for looking~

chris

The smaller ones are called micro-blades & they're usually not more than 1", usually they're silvers that've been worked/sharpened by serrations.

silverbacker
The smaller ones are called micro-blades & they're usually not more than 1", usually they're silvers that've been worked/sharpened by serrations.

micro blades were mentioned in that science program re Clovis people comming over from the Atlantic side
( they used big flint blades as knives )

Same time frame on the Pacific side --( land bridge crossers ) used micro blades imbedded along a shaft for their cutting needs.