Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Weekend Dig Finds. Montell Magic !

We headed back to the Chalk Bluff site for a weekend of diggin. Saturday was great, Sunday we were rained off the tables by noon. Bummer... Roland fixed me up with some great camping. You folks call Roland. He is the best host and I really enjoy coming to visit him. It was a great trip with lots of finds and a bunch of great folks were on board for a day of screening.. For me it was a Montell weekend. I hope you enjoy the pics.

Photobucket

The first point was a fine Monell. My best of the day.

Photobucket

The next was this mystery point. Maybe a Perd in disguise?

Photobucket

The hat was filling up with points. Good Times !

Photobucket

Roscoe was telling me the big blade was in the next bucket. Keep an eye on Roscoe. He did bring me a sweet Kerville in the next load. Go Roscoe !

Photobucket

It was looking pretty good by noon.

Photobucket

Montell Magic!

Photobucket

The days catch. The scalloped scraper on the left is a great piece of camp stuff. It is very smooth and was used a lot. It is made from one large piece of flint and finely serrated around the edges. My friend Tom Chrsitenson likes the camp stuff. This one is for you buddy !

Photobucket

This Montell is much nicer in person.

Photobucket

This small Kerrville has secondary flaking and was well used.

Photobucket

Larry from Houston just found a really sweet Langtry. I missed the picture. Hal will add to this later on. It was killer>

Photobucket

The story of the day. So we are sitting aroung waiting for Roscoe to get on the skidder. He was absent and we all wondered. Turns out he has a flat 10 miles from the dig and drove in on a rim. The poor guy was all unnerved as he forget his jack. The last time I heard a story this good was on Cops when they chase the guy down the highway and his rim is smoking. It was steaming when he pulled up. Good stories this weekend.

Photobucket

Driving out of the Nueces River dig site was less than rewarding. My car was almost swallowed by the rain across the road. Thanks Roland! Thanks Roscoe.

Photobucket

Re: Weekend Dig Finds. Montell Magic !

Good report.

I just got in, pics in the AM.

Is that a 3000 watts light bulb used to backlight the clear Montell
Even your finger is translucent

That point was in the dark for thousands of years. 3000 watts was a bit conservative. I will do better next time.

Idahoe, it looks like they're getting close the the creek that feeds the river? If so I need to plan my next trip soon!

I never got a pic of the Larry Langtry, thats Roy & Will checking it out.
Very nice Kerrville, the blade is as good as any.

I'll just tag on a few pics to your report.

The Rosco rim driving was 10 miles...6.3 on a gravel road.
I just found a very nice Frio that I brought over to show just as Rosco and the local tire change union boss
were working.
Photobucket

15 inch rim for scale . . . .
Photobucket

Will found a drop dead Castroville..
Photobucket

A quick in the rain tailgate shot of Roy & Will's finds up until the deluge.
That big Covinton is 1/4 of an inch thick.

Photobucket

R & W's prime finds from the day before, washed and in a very expensive display frame.

Photobucket

Here's Keith R seeking rain asylum in the church. As you can clearly see....NOW we know who won the
"FREE DIG AT NATCHO'S" at Digfest!
Free is good.....He will get a REAL rain check for the abrevieted day..
Photobucket

You dont see THIS at many digs, , , , Keith is washing his finds with REAL HOLY WATER off the church
roof.
It was black inside of that thunder cloud, I used a flash on this pic, notice how the "holy water" shows
up a heavenly silver.

Photobucket

Keith's best find was a beautiful sun disk ( scraper ? )
Look how symetrically round the artisan made it.
It's finely crafted with very sharp edges all round. about 3/8th thick.
There IS a "Disk"listed under the South West Chapter of Ovrst. Says purpose unknown, Location Central
Mexico.
( One of the earliest immigrants from the South ? )
Photobucket

What th heck, long as I'm in church, a little holy water for me cant hurt !

Photobucket

Instead of blasting right away ( down that rain flooded road ) I sat in the Vehicle having lunch,
right next to my table and I thought " Dam, what a WASTE.. over half a table of unexamined rich dirt.
Then I noticed ALL the tables except Roy & Will's was
heaped high with fresh dirt.

We had thunder in all compass quadrants for 2 hours without rain..EXACTLY when Rosco rang the 12 noon whistle, the rain Crashed down, almost no light pre crash spits.

After about 45 minutes, the rain slacked off..

Photobucket

Nothing on my table Or Keith's...BUT, Roland & Rosco's
table....WHOO HOO... A gorgeous SB MONTELL...

( Oh THANKYOU rain Gods )

Photobucket

Dirt below 3 inches was as dry as talcum powder, My going through the dirt was more a case of " looking through it" rather than pushing it through the mesh.

Photobucket

Remember how we saw the ripples in the water cup as the T Rex was about to arrive ? Thats the way these
puddles looked when a crash of thunder went off.

Didn't really bother me, I was safe as you please, Its a Golfers unbrella

Photobucket

Idahoe had smoothed talked Rosco into getting him a last bucket load of dirt before lunch from the red
hot section of the camp. . . The whole load was left in the rain....
Oh THANKYOU THANKYOU Idahoe,,,,,WHOO HOO

Photobucket

S.H., looks like the rain Gods were looking after you. I almost turned around on county road because I did not think I could get across lower water crossing. I saw a huge lightning strike that hit the ground across river @ the pecan grove and that was enough for me to get home. We got about 3" in about 45 minutes. Your good karma always brings good finds!

great finds. montells are one of my favorite points. looks like you found a few bucktooth forms

Hal- You wish I left that tang. The flint type is a bit su****ious for the area. Perhaps an earlier find.

Hal that is an incredible knife!!!!

Here's a better pic of that muddy SB Montell after it has been washed.

Photobucket

Idahoe
Hal- You wish I left that tang. The flint type is a bit su****ious for the area. Perhaps an earlier find.

Oh ye of little faith...if it's not stuck in a potato it's not off your table ?

Front page, little icons at the bottom, 4th row down, click " BLACK MAX "

Not to worry, no charge for processing your full table of mud

SH, we are moving more dirt on Thursday. Huge pile on west end towards pandale and angustora camp is moving. We are wondering what that will produce. The lower camp has never been punched and for sure will be examined. We will continue forward east toward creek and prep for screeners this weekend so that someone can come across that so ever elusive c-tang.

Looks like Idahoe has your number Hal...That was way too funny.Great pics and finds guys, thanks for sharing them.

Roland Benavides
SH, we are moving more dirt on Thursday. Huge pile on west end towards pandale and angustora camp is moving. We are wondering what that will produce. The lower camp has never been punched and for sure will be examined. We will continue forward east toward creek and prep for screeners this weekend so that someone can come across that so ever elusive c-tang.

Good deal on the plan, that was a good producing area near under the mountain. I'm including a pic to show current progress that I took for AzAl's benefit to keep him advised of progress.
Camera pointed right to intersection of small creek with main river bank. Church roof lower left.

Photobucket

SH, For sure I will snap some good images on progress for our out of state folks as well. With all this rain it is getting to be a c**** to keep it down even with commercial equipment. If there is enough time on Thursday we will attempt to knock down dead tree @ the church. I found some interesting flint on west side of creek while taking bird photos.