Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mystery Point. What is it?

I pulled this point out of Chalk Bluff in the yellow dirt about 6 feet down. Rosco scooped it up and on the table it came. I thought it was a Perd (1500- 5000) with a reworked base but I have my questions. I am asking the Texas experts to help an old guy out and weigh-in on the possible type. It was suggested it may be a Brazos Fishtail (9000- 10,000).I have no clue here. Its 2.5 inches and made of a rootbeer colored flint. The site has produced a lot of Paleo on up.I always appreciate the opinions and feebdback. If it were Paleo I will paper it. If not, it will go into the collection as found. Thoughts?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Mystery Point. What is it?

Not a Brazos Fishtail (aka: Rodger's Side Hollowed). Is the base ground? Pic of other side?

The Brazos Fishtail I have has 2 small nubbins as ears on the base, It also has paleo flaking & I've been told that it's San Patrice related.
Your point is close but from SW TX, it's different in it's own great way.

Under another posting on this same point, Lunker & MWH report they have each found one of the same type, presumably when they were digging at the other end of the site. If nobody else reports finding this type at another location in TX, might we assume all three were made by just one individual who was a maveric knaper ?

The high court of flintery will be convened June 4th & 5th, bring it. I'll meet you at Mike's office, I'll be bringing a few of my ugly flared base "Perds" for comments !

im curios if you had this point typed if so what is it. the closest thing i could come up with in my book is a san patrice-geneill.

I had expected to see this point at the show, but it did not make it by. As I have also found similar ones from this area as well, my answer to it might cause a little re-thinking, because its not complex, and often overlooked. I think that this point, for whatever reason unknown, is quite simply unfinished!The basal form is right for notches and barbs had the maker continued.

Hi Idahoe, Could it be a dip-base LaJita? It does have that flaked ring around the notches like some LaJitas do. - Jon.

Hi Jon. My first guess was LaJita with a short base. It has that look to it. The point is nicely flaked and well made so who knows. Mike H believes it may be an unfinished point. I cant disagree with anyones guess as y'all have more knowledge than I do. I believe I will name it a "Tater Point".

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Mine is similar. Found in Fayette Co. Rogers didn't know what to call it. Matter of fact, nobody can seem to come up with a name. Sure looks likes your specimen. I don't believe it is a one off type point. Theses are too close in looks.

Fayette county to Uvalde County > > > > > > 180 miles, Very far apart locations but VERY close in design. Not sure "Tater point " has enough dignity for a new type, how bout a "Lignite point"

That is a Tater Point. I posted one just like under "mystery point. Check out the pics.

Bringing this back just to compare with a point Te has found out in the same area. 8 /14

LA JITA-LA JITA-LA JITA

Nope Nope Nope. The flaking is not La Jita. It's almost Paleo flaked but its not and its not ground. Too fine for the La Jita people. Still a mystery point. But not a Brazos Fishtail. Best guess? Excentric Pandale? Keep em coming.

Idahoe
Nope Nope Nope. The flaking is not La Jita. It's almost Paleo flaked but its not and its not ground. Too fine for the La Jita people. Still a mystery point. But not a Brazos Fishtail. Best guess? Excentric Pandale? Keep em coming.

these have also been said fajita's.according to turner hester and i quote it is possible that specimens are an unfinished stage of nolan points. here are my 2 from nacho's.finely crafted.PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
comparativly speaking i think mine are finely crafted lajitas but yours is still up in the air. te's looks like a folsum with shoulders.

LA JITA,LA ARROWHEAD. YES YES YES

Cy found this point at the Church 10/13. Nobody could identify it. It has a hint of pinched base like the original Ida find...and it IS the same camp...AND the most recent digging was very close to Ida's find area..

Photobucket

Photobucket

I think the point is best described as a short- stemmed Lancelot point. Early Archaic period. There are a number of close Texas types like Lajitta that look similiar but I am not on the Lajitta page with it. Perhaps a predecessor to the Lajitta but much earlier with finer compression flake work.. Ok, Lets type it and call it a leaf type tater peeler point?

The Snapped Stem Daryl on pg.6 of arrowheads.coms type page, looks just like your rock Idaho. I have one too, mine has a little shorter base. Nice find.