Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Book on finding arrowheads

I am looking for a good book on how to find arrowheads,I have been surface hunting for years and would like to start digging just dont want to spend alot of time in the wrong areas.

Re: Book on finding arrowheads

Where u from bud? Drop me an e-mail, books help a lil, but not as much as personal experience!

Are you in Texas ? There could be a book of interest for you at the big Temple show. Also people to talk to about where to dig possibilities.

hey there... im only twenty one but been digging and surface hunting since i was thirteen. i have taught myself tricks to finding camps. And the gentleman is right personal experience trial and error is the best way. but one thing i have learned searching the spring rich valley where i dig is locate an area where there are lots of flakes on top of the ground. they are usally associated with a concentration of surface grade points and midden on the surface. once you narrow that down take a step back and look for a big oak. i have found that where the big oaks are in a spring draw are a big clue versus scrub brush and cedar trees. the oaks will give clues sometimes. i have this one site where it is atop a huge knob. a mile from nearest water. one half of the knob is covered with cedars. the soil is chunky rock and pretty nasty. the other half is all healthy green oaks. i started a hole in the middle of the oaks and sure ebnough it was black fertile camp soil :) hope this helped. and remember if all else fails dig a test hole. sometimes there is very little sign

Yes I am in Texas in Granbury I acually live on the Brazos River and hunt the banks alot, but I know there is stuff to be found digging I just don't know were to start.

sounds like you may need to meet a local collector to show you the ropes. im not too familiar with that area. i have never really dug on river camps just small concentrated springs and creeks. sry i couldnt help more

Hey no problem thank you for your time.

Hey Justin, dyu git my e-mail, I sent u my number

Yes Sir, I got your number, I am also a Fireman and just got off a 48 hour shift, and have not been able to call. I will call you here in a little bit.
Sorry

Don't forget the golden rule to ask permission to dig on private property 1st. We've gotten bad PR in the past when artifacts are taken & sites destroyed w/o permission & it's illegal also & folks do go to jail ofr it.

Hi

i have a question regarding this too ... my friend lives in castroville in medina county

i went looking around the other day on her property
i found several scrapers and preforms but no points as of yett

i was walking and then all of the sudden i went uphill fast it was like a small hill about 3 ft high but looked to be rich black dirt with small pebble like stones on the surface .... i didnt dig in it yett .. this small raise is in the middle of with no other small hills around it

further back there is a water source i dont know if it is run off from irrigation or a drainage ditch

before you get to it there is alot of oak trees and some of those have raised spots around but nothing as tall as the one i found

there have been arrowheads found through the years on the surface of the property but not many !!

this property is about a mile from the medina river and has lots of flint and limerock on the surface such as hill country usually does

anyone have any suggestions on what i found or where i should look ?? all help is appreciated

thanks

Castroville TX, right in the prime heart of indian country. I hear they named the town after a particular
type of point found in that area .

Re your description of a certain "mound" you found....Did you copy that description word for word from " how to identify a midden " in TEXASBEFOREHISTORY.NET ??

Just take a garden small hand rack and some root snips and start scratching ( 3 to 15 inches ).....all you have to find is identifyable fire rock. Then...

BINGO