Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
THE FENN CACHE

If you you have to ask " whats THAT ? " Proper description can be found on Google.

My pics are terrible with glass glare but mainly ment to show that I was actually in the presence of a treasure...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now that we all have another glimps of the mighty weapons that slew Saber cats, cave bears and Mammoths.
For those of the school that theorise points became smaller as the game became extint.......Check this out

Here's Nacho perusing an item at Paul Kinyon's tables,,,note that small elongated display box under Pauls' right elbow...

border="0" alt="Photobucket">

And here's a closer look .. Those are ALL PALEO POINTS with fully accredited COA's. There as small as the smallest bird points, I stuck my finger in just for scale.

Photobucket

Theres' Clovis, Folsom, Hell Gap....What were these Mammoth slayers doing with these

Re: THE FENN CACHE

so many incredible collections,buzzy parkers wow. i took the best of my best and felt as if i just started collecting. my point is dont get discouraged, we all were in the presence of our true ancestors. i saw some things there that looked real and i saw things there that looked unreal.if you missed this show be sure to plan for it next year. the people i talked to there had my same interests in mind and were very informative. i look forward to doing it again next year.

lunkerbrad
HUNTING SMALL GAME WITH SMALL POINTS.

What "small" game ? it was the tail end of the ice ages, ...Jackalopes, giant squirrels, megga lizards, terradactyl song birds, check out the movie "ICE AGE"

It was millienia before the invention of the bow and arrow so these had to be hafted, pretty small darts !

Toys daddy made for the kids ?

I remember reading about an arroyo trap where when they dug the bone beds, they found both Folsoms and mini Folsoms in situ with the bones. Not too hard to imagine the hunters standing at the top of the bank of the arroyo raining spears on the trapped game, along with their 8 and 10 year old sons they were teaching to hunt. So Hal may have something there, maybe toys for the kids, maybe a learning tool more than the toys. Also, at the Jones Miller site in Colorado, they found a mini Hell Gap point along with a bone wistle. Possible explanation is the medicine man of the tribe "calling" the game there for a successful hunt. Could the small points have been used as a fetish, a good-luck token, an offering for success? All very interesting to think about. The small paleo in that collection are awesome made, not made in a hurry. Great care was taken, makes me think the points meant something special to their owners.

Paul Kinyon
I remember reading about an arroyo trap where when they dug the bone beds, they found both Folsoms and mini Folsoms in situ with the bones. Not too hard to imagine the hunters standing at the top of the bank of the arroyo raining spears on the trapped game, along with their 8 and 10 year old sons they were teaching to hunt. So Hal may have something there, maybe toys for the kids, maybe a learning tool more than the toys. Also, at the Jones Miller site in Colorado, they found a mini Hell Gap point along with a bone wistle. Possible explanation

is the medicine man of the tribe "calling" the game there for a successful hunt. Could the small points have been used as a fetish, a good-luck token, an offering for success? All very interesting to think about. The small paleo in that collection are awesome made, not made in a hurry. Great care was taken, makes me think the points meant something special to their owners.

I've been Googling trying to find something in writting about the small Paleo pieces. Not a brillient success other than one resourse saying that
their mini Paleos were " thought to be kids' toy lances ".... Sounds very logical since even today they are making miniature plastic weapons for 3 year old boys, like Thompson machine guns !

Ceremonial & shaman use is even more logical since something as serious as making an offering to the spirit gods for a good hunt is a proven fact. They wouldn't want to risk an insult by offering a less than the best they could make.

BIG gets all the attention but there is quite a few documented smallish Paleo, like: inch and a half, maybe resharpened, nothing like your collection of mini's

Hal, great observations. Thank you for sharing them. Rare for sure, more study and more finds may answer more questions and create more questions as well. Great points to give you pause and make you think about what you are looking at.

After doing some research into the mini-Paleo points I found that they were not made just for kids. More like small game, rabbits, wolves, and other small to medium sized game. Some were found in the Paisley Cave in Oregon, along with the bones of numerous small animals. Would be a waste of meat to blast a rabbit with a full sized Folsom. Not much left but the hair.