Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Williamson County Pay dig

Anyone heard of that possible new pay dig that was maybe going to open up on Brushy Creek in around the Pflugerville Round Rock area? I know there was some talk about that a couple months ago ... just wondering if anything ever came up about it?

Re: Williamson County Pay dig

Sounds good! Thanks for the update.

This is a little off subject, but in that general area there is a creek that flows thru the Block House neighborbood in South Leander. I have a teacher friend there who says her students are always showing her "arrowheads" they found in that creek. There is a lot of construction there right now. Might be worth a walk up the creek if you live in that area. Don't know about the legalities of picking up odd shaped rocks in the creek.

Gin
This is a little off subject, but in that general area there is a creek that flows thru the Block House neighborbood in South Leander. I have a teacher friend there who says her students are always showing her "arrowheads" they found in that creek. There is a lot of construction there right now. Might be worth a walk up the creek if you live in that area. Don't know about the legalities of picking up odd shaped rocks in the creek.

Gin. . . . . . Oh the memories

SEVEN YEARS ago, an online fan of Badger told her of a spectacular new find right in the heart of the Block house Creek subdivision, he filled two small buckets with great points and was letting her in on the secret...
I'm just an underling so I was assigned the job of checking it out. Not having an exact street adress I justed started walking the creek in back of the houses. Very pretty back there. After a time, and suddenly, I spotted flint flakes. Mind you, seven years ago I had not yet graduated from Newbie kindergarden... I though " this is great, last rains must have washed through a camp ".. Well 50 feet further along the dream evaporated..............

Some amateur KNAPPERS had dumped an entire pickup load of unwanted flint right on the slopes of the creek. This was the second time I have seen knapper "dumping". Cant blame the original " finder " , , , much of these dumps also contain neat preforms and worked points that didn't make the cut.....but look great.
I went back probably 6 months later because the creek area did indeed look like good potential camp area.
The huge pile of flint was scattered over a big area, presumably by people going through it looking for identifiable "arrowheads".... POT HOLES all over the place !

It IS a good area, unfortunatly it has been poisoned for years to come with those modern chips that are working their way to the Gulf of Mexico.

Hmmmmm...very interesting. I saw about 3 or four grown men walking up the creek in a definate "looking for somthing" position about a month ago when I was in the neighborhood. I never have walked the creek, just visited friends there. Why the heck would knappers dump back in a creek when you could use it in you cactus bed safely away from real artifact!!! (Though it will become real artifact some day thousands of years from now I am sure.)

Well, call me an old timer I guess, but there was indeed a midden there in the early 80's. I dug in it and found a few points, but nothing great. During the end of the first phase of development, the midden was dozed away and gone forever, like alot of sites around the Austin area.

How sad. I noticed right by the 183 they were clearing land on boths sides of the creek to build something last month. Wonder if anyone walked that fresh dirt? Also across the highway we have friends who live by the creek who have a huge old oak tree that is bent over at a 90 degree angle so you can walk from end to end. They were told this was some kind of Indian compass...anyone ever heard of this?

theirs a great difference between newly napped flake and creek finds and it's really easy to recognise.

rick
theirs a great difference between newly napped flake and creek finds and it's really easy to recognise.

There certainly is, the most obvious feature of the newest knapped flint is that it is in a pile three feet high