Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Texas Indiam Mounds Question

I don't see many Indian mounds in North Texas. How far North of the Hill country do you have to get before the Indian mounds start fizzling out? Thanks

Re: Texas Indiam Mounds Question

Travis , above a line extending through northern Hill county and Brown county, they just become scattered camp, not classic burned rock middens.

Thanks Michael and thanks to Glen for the awesome link.

http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/bowie/middenwhat.html

michael walker
Travis , above a line extending through northern Hill county and Brown county, they just become scattered camp, not classic burned rock middens.

I agree w Mike, and it's not the only line to muse on.

Te has been researching the line south of San A since he was a little boy, defining stemmed & unstemmed points.
The pottery lines are so definite it's almost a "Berlin wall" in E - W & S TX.
The "EXOTIC" zone line, An oval shaped area roughly covering Camp Wood to Kerrville. Points that are so artistic, delicate and large they outshine the rest of TX.
The Travis line, loosly defining N & S TX BBQ recipes.

Ha! The BBQ line. That's funny Hal.

mr walker please email me at jasonclemens84@yahoo.com
im the gentleman you talked to at the show and bought the bohnam point off of you

If you look throughout east Texas you will find more Caddo Indian mounds than you can count. Mounds of all sizes. Most of mounds are round in shape, but we have found some cigar box shaped mounds as well. There are burial mounds, campsites, cookmounds, etc. They are somewhat different than those in other parts of texas. They do have fire miden rocks in them but not to the extent of south and central Texas due to the fact this is not as rocky of country. Many of these mounds go unnoticed because of the vast amounts of vegetation and the plowing of fields over and over throughout the years. But follow any river or large creek and you are bound to find mounds maybe just a few or maybe hundreds.

Travis L.
If you look throughout east Texas you will find more Caddo Indian mounds than you can count. Mounds of all sizes. Most of mounds are round in shape, but we have found some cigar box shaped mounds as well. There are burial mounds, campsites, cookmounds, etc. They are somewhat different than those in other parts of texas. They do have fire miden rocks in them but not to the extent of south and central Texas due to the fact this is not as rocky of country. Many of these mounds go unnoticed because of the vast amounts of vegetation and the plowing of fields over and over throughout the years. But follow any river or large creek and you are bound to find mounds maybe just a few or maybe hundreds.

All very true, so thats yet ANOTHER Texas boundary line

You know there are Hal. Those in far West Texas, Hill Country,Brush Country, Pan Handle, etc. probably all had their area's. Didn't care to much for illegals trespassing through. Some point types seemed to be standard in all regions, others, like the Charcos, Hoxie, and Gary, all roughly same time span, each had a small geographical area. Dang those invisible lines.

Travis McGaughey
Ha! The BBQ line. That's funny Hal.

I just re-discovered another really amazing Indian boundary line. I was planning a trip west of TX and was looking for any flint related events I might hit.....
If you draw a line on a map of the USA from El Paso to roughly Fargo N Dakota. There is not one single event ( flint show ) listed west of this line.

Never mind actual digging may be illegal in most States, collecting is legal.
So to be explained is why about 40% of North America has no artifacts shows at all.?

Good question Hal. Being a North Texan I have noticed that hunting points up here is not as po****r as hunting points in the hill contry. I think the flint quality and and quantity is so good in the hill country that it makes hunting points more po****r than in areas where the flint is "normal". I have watched alot of youtube videos of points being found in the hillcountry and all of the resposes to the video from out of state folks usually are amazed at the amount of great points coming out of the ground. Plus, we can dig for them as opposed to just surface hunting. Other than that I don't know why flint shows are scarce in other places....?