Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Possible Pottery?

I was on another post earlier last week, and a gentleman put up some pics of pottery... the texture and sized looked similar to what i found last weekend.. again, I've found much of this stuff, unaware that it could of been something... I have two pieces confirmed.. but these could of been to a bigger pot~

This one... Anistazi.. these top two are the size of a quarter

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

see the lines....

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

----------
these i'm not sure. but the texture feels gritty like sad..

front

thickness

back side of big peice

any comments would be appreciated.... again.. all surface finds...

thanks for looking!

chris

Re: Possible Pottery?

WHy Helloo there Chris

Yes, Congrats!

Looks like you got yourself some pottery!! GREAT! I have reciently found a few pieces at Chrisners.. and Yes they are that thick!

Good Hunting ! Collect them all !!!!

Michelle

awww.. thanks for the confirmation!... just wasn't sure...i knew that it was different!.. man that's awesome!!!! Hopefully i can find more!.. I'll keep everyone posted.

thanks again Michelle!

Chris

Chris, I assume that you are located in either Grants or Catron county, NM. if not, then you must be in southeast Arizona. Your first piece of pottery is Mimbres. The second is some type of utilitarian mogollon ware. The last couple of pics are stone, not pottery.

michael walker
Chris, I assume that you are located in either Grants or Catron county, NM. if not, then you must be in southeast Arizona. Your first piece of pottery is Mimbres. The second is some type of utilitarian mogollon ware. The last couple of pics are stone, not pottery.

Thats great to be able to identify the culture a find comes from. Good job Mike.

Two weeks ago, every scoop of dirt from the Nacho site had the same stone in it as Chris is showing. I could see it was a natural feature so I brought some home to see if there was anything special about them.

Photobucket

Nothing special,,,, EXCEPT.....it tells of a very short intense geologic event. Volcanic pumic that settled to the sea bottom then was again covered by ocean sediment is a logical explanation.

i'm in Fayette Co Tx...... right at the tip of Lee... we actually have lee county water!. haah..

stone huh?.... weird... they looked so much like that other pic...

wonder how any of that made it this far down~... wild...i mean.. little ol fayette co.

You certainly got me wondering too. Those pieces are 800+ miles from home. What's the scivey on where you are hunting? What else are finding where these shards came from? mike

michael walker
You certainly got me wondering too. Those pieces are 800+ miles from home. What's the scivey on where you are hunting? What else are finding where these shards came from? mike

If digging a site where the culture actually HAD pottery, the shards are in the thousands...If digging zero pottery sites ( like CenTx ) and finding a single piece of pottery, I usually asscribe to:
1. trade item
2. war prize
3. traveler / migrant

What has always impressed me with these single out of context finds is that once the locals saw even one single water jug...WHY did they not immediatly duplicate the new technology ??

what what i was told.... from the old man who owned the property.... there was a watering hole on our land... and the old road from bastrop to giddings passed through it~... but again.. and old story~...

here mike.. here's some of my other finds from the same spot...

https://www.photoshop.com/user/crstfr

click on arrowhead album.... I've been finding more hand axes and scrappers lately ... crap load of petrified wood~.. its endless~.. all surface finds~..

chris