Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sweet small guy

I don't find many birdies, so was pleased to see this guy in my floatin screen.

Photobucket

Re: Sweet small guy

. . . . . .

catahoula??

Bassett.

Mike Warton
Bassett.
i was thinking more steiner. but the only thing i have to refer to is the 8th edition. can you help me with another book or 2 i can refer 2. i know my bro says turner hester but i would like 2 have your opinion also. any help appreciated. i say toyah my bro says harrell on my coke county find.he says according to t&h harrell's are simply made better & toyah's are found in a more westerly direction.like the big bend country. oh by the way i'm a visual kind of person. i have to see pictures. you know like the playmate of the month. michael you found it. i need your opinion too.

Mike Warton
Bassett.

M, we know your right,,,, but did your typing fingers ( pun intended ) accidentally touch a few wrong keys ?

Not only does "Stone Artifacts" illustrations look nothing like your find BUT, the Bassett range is so far to NE TX, it's even past Travis' haunts

Range & distribution of Arrow Points was much greater than Archaic. Bassett,Perdiz,Turner,Hays, & perhaps some Livermores are among the few having a pointed base, of which is key. Bassett is by no means confined to N.E. Texas, but has been found all the way from Central Kansas through Oklahoma and into Central Texas.Bassett is not an Old Point Hal, they(Plains Indians) had horses back then to get around.The range and distribution of type points are better referenced from archeological files/reports than from single authors.

Bassett......not!
Stiener......not!

Pure Catahoula, just not square barbed. The stiener stickers occur on many points, where this one came from. No classic, but a real keeper.

A couple of my catahoulas. The only things that doesn't look catahoula to me is the base, usually don't see them that narrow.

Catahoula

Catahoula

Catahoula

Catahoula

AAahhh zo,,a Catahoula by any other name is still a beauty. { refering to Mikes'}
Good observations on mobility too, might also apply to that random scrap of pottery found along the trail.
[ hot coffee thermos made out of pottery }

And Chris' contribution, great, those are high dollar slivers of flint. Seeing those excessive "serations" put me in mind of some of the wildly exotic "teeth" we see on the swords the baddy Ninjas' use