Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DIGFEST 2010 on TEN TEN TEN

DIGFEST for this year will be on OCTOBER 10TH, TWO THOUSAND AND TEN ( 10 - 10 - 10 ) at CHRISNERS RANCH

All the same rules as last years very successful event: except, , , , we'll skip the "how to dig in mud" seminar.

The 10 day weather forecast will be closely monitored, IF there is a good rain possibility the date will be moved to the next Sunday, still keeping it in the good weather month for TX.

Old hands know the drill.

New Folks welcome. It's a one day event of camping, food, prizes, digging / surfacing. To see past events, back to front page, top right, click on icons that indicate "DIGFEST 08 - 09

The more "door prize" donations the better, if you can offer anything that is flint / digging / outdoorsy oriented, just do it
Last year the prizes value was $4,500.

A seperate prize list will be posted to follow progress.

Sign up is mandatory for the caterers ( Mary, Richard and Aunt June ) to order the right amount of food. I would think the official posting list will be two weeks before the event.

If you plan to attend, get your name in, in good time...Dont be like that poor fellow last year that was shut out so he went creek walking in his neighborhood......and found a Corner tang

Post questions & comments in this slot. . . . .

Re: DIGFEST 2010 on TEN TEN TEN

maybe I will make it this time Hal. Thanks for the info.

Travis McGaughey
maybe I will make it this time Hal. Thanks for the info.

Dam, I was looking forward to this years original excuse. As I remember, for past Digs we had:
- cant attend, getting married
- cant attend, buying new house
- cant attend, painting deck chairs
- cant attend, brother getting married

Bring the whole family

WHOS BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO HAVE IT ON 10-10-10

YES I KNOW I HAVE BEEN PESTERING FOR A DATE BUT I WASNT EXSPECTING THAT ONE LMAO

LETS SEE FRIENDS WEDDING OR DIGFEST DANG IT IM GONNA HAVE TO CALL THEM TO HAVE THEM POSTPONE THE WEDDING

Bridgett and I will be there. We are looking forward to it!!!

Lee, Why not bring the bride & groom to Digfest.? Just like ship Captains, big rig drivers can perform weddings....Jerry can handle that

i have not made a digfest dig yet, and i have been diggn out there at Chrisners for about 5 years. im not missing this one . me and my wife will be there.

Hal you have a great memory. I had fortgotten all those excuses

Working on bumper sticker test...

Photobucket

Ordering 5,000 and need to make sure the spelling is correct

hey,hal.
if you have 5000 people coming to the festival you can count my wife and me in.whose supplying the acid, are there going to be love in's,is willie going to be there.inquiring minds want to know.

I will be there this year Hal. No more creek walking for me, I wanna dig!

Hey, I am new to the website. I wanted to know how to sign up for Digfest 10/10/10? My wife and I would love to attend this year!

Official sign up is just 2 weeks before the event ( It's mainly for food quantity ordering ) Notice is usually plastered on the top of the front page.

Incidentally, quite a few "significant others" looking to attend.
Bring the kids. ( unless your trying to get away ! ). Kids & families are served food before the masses. and there is a "kids drawing " section slanted towards age apropriate prizes ( upper age limit 63 )

No restrictions on pets ( except maybe lions and other exotics ) Some means of restraint could be wise so that you go home with the same pet you arrived with.

My wife 14yo son 8yo daughter and I want to attend, what is the cost per person? Thanks

$ 40.- each, under 12 free.

And dont forget to bring 10 bucks to give to the kids who push your vehicle out of the mud.

Richard has the new banners for this year, one will be on the front gate the 9th > > > > > > > >

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hey fellow diggers

im working on various door prizes and would like some suggestions ..some things that where donated last year went at the end of the pick list guess people want certain things

all your help will be appreciated thank you

Good thinkin Slim, Badger & I had words with Richard & Mary just yesterday.....The countdown has officially begun. Registration and prize collecting commences.

For the parti****nts you are adressing, suggestions / donations should be along the lines of things for digging and outdoorsy.

I could use a airconditioned cab mini backhoe

when should we have our donations in or do we just bring them to the festival?

pat kinyon
when should we have our donations in or do we just bring them to the festival?

Bring them along with you.

Please Email Badger a brief description of the item now ( MICHELLE@AUSTINDIGGERS.COM ) So she can list them with all the other prizes on the website.

A picture would be nice. Attach a name tag to the item if you like.

The more donation the better, even a golden Mano

The Brown family of "5" will be there. Jennifer and I have added one more boy to the family. " Bruce age 5, Brock age 2 1/2 and Brad 1/2." We plan on coming the night before.

I will be there with my wife and kid.

Is there camping available on the ranch or some place nearby?

Good deal Cal, your usual spot next to Gil's generator is still available. However you may not be able to hear anything what with having a 6 Mo older right in your own tent

BT, plenty of camping space on the ranch, join the gang or set up next to an ancient fire rock midden camp ( bring your Orb camera )

A special new event has been added to this years' events. SCREENING

A huge amount of dirt is going to be removed to create a clean wall for the digfest hand diggers.....ALL that soil is "Indian country " Rich and contains Paleo to bird points.. Rather than piling it up for the "regulars" to go through in the comming year, Richard will have the screen tables setup and those that would prefer to screen can do so. It's $20 per bucket load. It's a B I G bucket that completely fills the table. Any number of screeners can chip in for a go. ( I like to think of it as the 20 / 20 screen dig ,,, If you can get 20 people around the table, thats ONE dollar each for the 20 bucks )

Another very thoughtfull addition to this years events, Mary has arranged to have a traveling troubador serenade the hand diggers to soothe their jangled nerves ( sort of like the strolling minstrals that come around to your dining table )
Doesn't Glen look peacefull !

Photobucket

Meet Sir Barefooteth William and his performing menagery...

Photobucket

Sir William said " those that gottum, bring your instruments and we'll have the hills alive to the sound of digging and music "

Side notes on a couple of drawing prizes.

Tom & David of DAVIS ARTIFACTS has donated a book by Hath**** on Mississippian pottery... I Googled for more
details....it's another one of those classics thats out of print and has lots of illustrations and descriptions of a glorious piece of history. Very unique. ( refer back to prize listings to find out how to spell Hath**** )

ROY FAILS ( E TX surfacer except once a yr at digfest, a digger ) makes custom cases.
He has donated one for a prize this yr....He gave me one last year and I keep my modern Repros in it...

Photobucket

His actual donation this year may not be exactly as shown in this pic, varying in size & color but the top quality will be the same

I am getting more and more excited about this. Last years digfest was the first paydig I had ever done (and I had only really been focusing on surface hunting for a few months prior to that so I was such a greenhorn).

With the rain and my lack of experience, I had a blast but look back and am kicking myself for some of the mistakes I made (flint chips, forget that, lets just play in the dirt...snail shells..clearly im too deep!)

This year its a whole new ballgame.

HERE'S THE LATEST NEWS THAT MAY CONCERN SOME FOLKS ATTENDING THE DIGFEST...

There will be 3, maybe 4 seperate newly trenched or cleared out areas to cater to all levels of physical abilities. Not to mention a huge amount of fresh moved dirt that needs surfacers attention.

We have feedback that some people would like to take full advantage of the whole weekend.....SO.......
If it suits you, come out at dawn on SATURDAY dig all day and camp for twenty bucks ( per digger ) all newly opened sites will be available EXCEPT one that will only open on Sunday morning as "the " digfest special.

There will be a large banner at the top of the entrance gate starting Saturday morn.

thats great news. i have officjally made heavy ni super heavy weight status 299.8 lbs i just hope i make it @ 51 but this will be my official beginning to biggest loser. my dinking will stop after i find that all illusive corner tang and get to meet you fun people. i am bringing my guitar and grill will be there sat. to enloy the weekend to the fullest.

pat kinyon
thats great news. i have officjally made heavy ni super heavy weight status 299.8 lbs i just hope i make it @ 51 but this will be my official beginning to biggest loser. my dinking will stop after i find that all illusive corner tang and get to meet you fun people. i am bringing my guitar and grill will be there sat. to enloy the weekend to the fullest.

Let me be clear on this, P

Your suggesting this is a weight losing possibility...pigging out on a massive TX BBQ?
AND ..."your quitting drinking as soon as you find a corner tang"...who's the designated driver IF ( god forbid )you accidentally dont happen to find one by Sunday night

Live music and campfire stories...GREAT. take some pictures for me, I'll be camping at the far north end of the ranch

Here's a plan for Digfest Sunday...

Just before dawn: Short service over the campfire embers to pray for a good day.

About 0700 the digging can start in the reserved area. IF you have another spot located, go for it as soon as your body can stand it.

BBQ lunch starts at noon sharp in the area of the house and out buildings. Kids and their parents served first starting at 1130.
Park anywhere you can find room BUT NOT in the general area of the BBQ. There is plenty of room close back by the barn, not just the main road in.
FOLDING CHAIR will insure a seat ,,,,OR just stand and juggle like crazy

The prize drawing starts about 10 minutes after the last digger has been served the food. ( might have to eat fast but people that were served first are rarrin to get going )

Somewhere in this active schedule is the time for show and tells....Bring your finds.

Sellers or major displayers welcome...BRING YOUR OWN TABLE...there is plenty of room to setup.

Back to diggin anytime you like

Digfest area in the far back of pic. "perd camp" is what it is commonly known as, but I prefer "Paleo Valley"
Many Plainview points were found by Dwain Rogers AFTER..
splitting the huge overhang drop.

Photobucket

Other areas in the valley are being trenched. Note all the dirt piles ( I think the screening plan is off) BUT it's ALL indian country dirt and has artifacts in it.
Common garden rakes are good if thats your plan. IF you have to buy a rake, the Home Depot long 4 tang "potato" rake is best, about $17.-

Photobucket

Mary handles the signage at digfests, Spyders Dad, Ogre handles the security

Photobucket

I went into the forbiden zone ( hands in pockets ) I didn't find many flint flakes but I was pretty impressed with this large piece of charcoal very deep in the newly exposed wall. It's excellent finding prospects ( what could be better than at the foot of a proven Paleo shelter? ) But frankly the soil is Very compacted and will be tough going. Give it a try but dont knock yourself out, listen up for any dig finds from the other easier to dig spots.
Photobucket

ALL the creeks have clear running water in them...Surface / creek walkers..WET SHOES.

The roads are in good condition and all the creek crossings are solid rock bottom. Here's every bodys' chance to legally NOT turnaround

Photobucket

My one wheel drive city vehicle had no trouble on roads and crossings. ( not very good going in damp grass though )

Photobucket

! ! ! ! ! !

Photobucket

Stan & Bowhuntinman, your tools are ready for pickup over the sign in board

PS..For a much better idea of just how deep that charcoal wood is....compare with the farther back shot
( using the white lines and especially the horizontal white rock for reference )...The hollow with the Char can actually be seen in the long shot. How low can you go ?

I was wondering if there will be anyone selling wiggle picks there this weekend?

Chris Acree
I was wondering if there will be anyone selling wiggle picks there this weekend?

Now that they see they might have a customer ...somebody should..

Migtht as well tag this on,,,Home depot calls the 4 tined rake a "cultivator" 13 bucks.

My last visit before the fest...View from main road looking N

Photobucket

There are words on the banner''''''''

Photobucket

This is one of 5 walls / trenches available starting Saturday Dawn... "special area" opens 0700 Sunday.
Ben and Spyder were looking for any dog biscuits sticking out of the wall ( tee hee ) ( Ben is the larger one !

Photobucket

Standing back shot of same wall where Ben & Spyder were out last pic....NOTE WELL....there are PILES of
dirt from the trenches all over the place....
Even for the top diggers, I'm strongly suggesting to just throw a rake in your vehicle in case you want to take advantage of a different type of finding. Thats GOOD dirt, and if we dont get to it at Digfest, Ben and Jessie and the regulars will work it the rest of the year

Photobucket

MORE GOOD CAMP DIRT ( for raking )....at top of the hill by the parking area

Photobucket

I counted 17 dump truck loads. Special note....NO SHADE...plan accordingly.

Photobucket

The checkout lady in town at the HEB grocery told me..."somebody had found a beautiful Drill out at Chrisners on Monday ".. Sure enough, BB was investigating a new spot and got lucky.....I visited him and took a pic over his kitchen table...

Photobucket

Bill found a clean rag for a backround ( said something about kitchen table too distracting

Photobucket

What a find...beautiful ( wonder what the original owner going to drill with that ? )

In conclusion...follow arrows to CAMP AREA and tother way to DIG site. ( Paleo Valley )..."BILLS CAMP" is also on the menu but start at the beginning ( Paleo Valley) then explore later.
For younger non diggers or rakers...every inch of newly moved dirt is a surfacers delight, also water in creeks for mud pies

Re confirming good news.... For awhile the screening option seemed to have been dropped due to wet /moist soil....

The WX has been so good for so long over the Chrisner ranch that the soil now seems at least worth a try...

Tables will be set up in the area in pics 5 & 6 in the report just above....

IF your not clued in on the details, look farther back in this posting ( right above the strolling minstral ) for the full story

Man, I am so dang excited for this weekend I can't stand it.

What time will you be out there tomorrow morning? Will we pull up and see you digging by the light of a lamp before sunrise?

Bad news from the Brown family. The boys are sick so we will no longer be able to make the trip this year.

Dang Cal, We were looking forward to your youngest vocalist harmonising with all the musical people
camping.. ..Your doing the right thing, thats family business..

If the situation improves by sometime Sunday, make the trip for the BBQ'

Next year will be bigger ( and so too the kids ) ( naturally wives DONT age )

DFWPhotoguy
Man, I am so dang excited for this weekend I can't stand it.

What time will you be out there tomorrow morning? Will we pull up and see you digging by the light of a lamp before sunrise?

Dig people are usually morning people

Early people, sign in and put the money in an envelope..
Checkout the pics on the garage wall then head for the
dig area...Leaving the garage area, it will be a right turn - follow the arrows...I doubt very much that you will be the first one there so just ask the first digger you meet " exactly where shall I dig where the best points are ??"

IF - I can get up early, I plan to be there about 0700 ( official published dawn is 0737 )

I'm not completely sure...we'll both have to wait to see what Richard wants to do...
Last year there was a ticket team on the dig road, pay your money..drive through

The ticket stub you will get is the all important document....pay on Saturday,,,show your ticky to the
road crew to get through...

DONT LOSE THE TICKETS...IT'S THE ONLY CLAIM TO THE DRAWING PRIZES.

nate adams
yeah imma have to park my car near the entrance i wont be driving thru the creeks in a sports car lol

NO CREEKS
For anyone else in the same boat ( pun intended ),,so as to avoid a parking jam in the digging area, parking is requested in the big field just before going down the last hill...no creek driving needed.

With a few errant rock exceptions...the roads have been gone over with a road grader. ( not asphalt slick as a rocky base cant be smoothed too close )

Same story to camp area..no creeks, the "grass" has stubble from the type of weed that grew there, the dirt is perfectly flat. Just choose your best spot.

Gathering point of campground is the rock fire ring.
For minimum driving in the field, park close to road.

Last note, some might want to use diggers root clippers to clear the area just under the tents.

Or .. for those that like a firm nail studded mattress...DONT trim it

Hellooo to all!!

I just wanted to put out a personal THANK YOU ALL FOR COMING !!!!!!! To all that came to Digfest 2010 and all that helped with the food and prizes and donations and pictures and heck, porta-potty's too!

I think it was a great turn out for the day before and the night of camping and full day of Digfest.

I had a wonderful time chattering / digging / eating / meeting and everything else with you all!

YOU all make this website possible! If you all were not there it would just be Hal and I! Come on ! I need more than a dude in a Potato Costume these days!!!!! BAHAH!!

Thanks and it was great!!!!!!!!!

Michelle