Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Birds at Vanderpool

We hit Vanderpool yesterday and dug in TJ's bird midden. Ended up with over a dozen broken birds, Sabinals, Perdiz, Scallorns, and a Pipe Creek biface. Did a couple of loads near his old area and Flicker found this Ensor (?) and a walking Frio base. TJ and Nicole found nearly a dozen bird points too. How do you like his neighbor's idea of a new version of a screen. Looks like it's more trouble then it's worth.

Re: Birds at Vanderpool

Nice finds, i guess you had plenty of water to drink? I actually made it to the hill country yesterday, New Braunsfels for a wedding, it was HOT!

Wasn't too bad under the trees, and just enough breeze to make it tolerable. TJ did dig a load in a different area and it was still wet dirt so we went back to the bird area.

Looks like you guys had a great dig. The points are just super. I like Birdies. That Pipecreek is killer and a well made point. I wish I had one.. I gather TJ has that bench to work out and may prove to be a goldmine for some older points. Thanks for sharing with us Ken. Looks like your wife has the find of the day.

I'm assuming your using the 1/4" smaller screens in lieu of the 5/8" larger screens..and not moving as much dirt. Just wondering if TJ is still charging 200.00 per patron. JT

Yep, it's the smaller screens. The smallest point we found nearly slipped through even then. The going rate is still $200, whether at Nacho's, TJ's, and even Ronnie on his short lived dig was charging the same. Sounds like a lot but they only get to keep part of it, landowners get a big chunk too.

Well done, thats a good days work

I see 5 of the birds with the very very delicate broken bases have no damage to the working areas ( tip & edges ) Wonder if they were SO delicate they broke at the finish out knaping

Very well could be, hadn't thought about that. TJ's birds were nearly all base broken too. Some fumble fingered Indians in that camp.

I dig with a tractor too, and it seems people always forget the expense of the equipment( fuel,filters,grease,oil..etc) Not to mention the time it takes to set up a good dig, haul tractors and screens, and operate a tractor...seems to me 200 a day to get in on the chance to win big and not have to maintain equipment, and cleanup...is well worth it. I wouldn't do it for any less.

We'd looked into it also and if it's leased property, the operator may get half of the money, if not less. Figure a 10 hour day, with no expenses, he'd get $10 an hour, then figure in the equipment, fuel, insurance, etc. he'd be lucky to make minimum wage. Yeah, there may be a full crowd out there, but then there's days when only a couple of people show up. That's the way it was Saturday. Just Flicker and I. TJ does work his tail off while there, even left 4 screens of dirt when they went in for lunch, and another 4 full ones after 5 when he left. So we got our money's worth. Could really tell it the next day to. Getting old. Don't know how Hal can do it, I'm younger then him and am stove up for a couple of days after every trip. Wonder if they make a handicap accessable screen?