Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
macfaddlin beach

has anyone found any artifacts around macfaddlin beach if so where ? thanks!!!!!!!!!

Re: macfaddlin beach

hey e.t.
did my help on posting pics help any? if so i would like to see some of your finds.if not i would be willing to help as much as i can. for some reason i just have a feeling you have some caddo stuff, lots of people on this site would like to see.

It's basically beachcombing.....you have a pleistocene layer that washes in and a few karankawa sites washing out....If you Google it you will see it has a large number of clovis found LOOK HERE
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/mcfaddin/index.html

larryw58
It's basically beachcombing.....you have a pleistocene layer that washes in and a few karankawa sites washing out....If you Google it you will see it has a large number of clovis found LOOK HERE
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/mcfaddin/index.html

YES..precicely.... More Clovis points have been found on that beach than any other county in the entire state of TX , , , , , that .net link is excellent

anyone want to take up scuba diving. thanks for the heads up larry.excellent site.

man after looking at that site on the internet all i could do was think about it and dream about it, now obsessing about it! thanks for the bug east texas, you started it.

does anyone know definitely that is is legal to hunt artifacts on the waterways in Texas? The way I understand it, it is illegal to hunt the waterways that border the state.

gman

I was told by a Texas Parks and Wildlife Ranger that you can be in a creek that is navigable by boat if you're in that boat. Once you step out of that boat and onto the creek floor, you're now on someone's property. But I've been told ten different stories on what's legal and what's not. I saw a post on here a while back about laws on hunting beaches too, can't remember the specifics though.

Chris J

OK, after some discussions with the local Game Warden, it is LEGAL to surface hunt the beaches in this area. If however you are IN the Mcfaddin Wildlife Refuge, you must obey their laws and ordinances. Still legal to surface look.

gman

A buddy and me made the trip down there several times in the late 90's. We were told no collecting in the state park but the beach ending at the park all the way to Holiday Beach is open. You will need a 4 wheel drive or expect a longggggggg walk. My friend found at least one point each time but I always got skunked. We did find several fossilized horse/camel teeth each trip. Be careful, the beach close to Holiday is a hangout for nude people, and not the attractive ones you would hope for!

after getting the info that is is legal to hunt this area, except in the State Park, a buddy and I are heading down for a day . Does anyone have any good advice on where to head? A previous poster said to expect an extreme walk. Is this true? Surely you can drive fairly close. I assume low tide is the way to go? Are there land marks near any good areas?
Any advice is appreciated.

gman

Be EXTREMELY careful driving that beach. I have driven over more than a couple of roof tops of vehicles swallowed by the muck there. Other than that, just watch out for all the geriatric huevos swinging around at the nudie beach there!

Here's everything I know and here's what my family found over a period of 5 years(1970's) when there was a road.hwy 87
Finds: 2 excellent plummets,1 complete 3" clovis,approx.5 clovis bases,2 mid parts of paleo points??Numerous fossils bones turtle,mammoth teeth small sections only,mastadon small sections only,crushed camel skull w/intact teeth,dire wolf lower jaw w/teeth and numerous bison,camel,horse teeth,sections of deer horn all pleistocene era fossils. There are not any landmarks left from that time frame(1970's) and of course the road is washed away.We started approx. 1 mile from High Island and went all the way towards Port Arthur.This is no secret place,so always expect company.In other words look where you see no foot tracks. The beach here is very gravelly,the sand only goes a few feet into the surf,where it changes to the black sticky clay.THE BEST TIME TO LOOK IS AFTER STORMS OR AFTER PERIODS OF HIGH SOUTH WINDS LIKE NOW ! WE NEVER FOUND ANYTHING IN THE LOWER TIDE PERIODS.MOST WAS FOUND FROM THE MID-POINT TO THE BASE OF WHAT WAS THEN DUNES.YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO WALK LONG DISTANCES AND HAVE SOME MEANS OF TRAVELLING BESIDES FOOT ! AGAIN THE ROAD IS GONE.
BEWARE OF NUDISTS

The highway was washed out in a storm and ends into the gulf just past the state park. The beach was drivable by regular car for a little way further then its off rd only. Most of our finds were close to the state park end of the beach(but thats just us). I also found a huge sea turtle head washed up that looks like a slestak skull in my office!

What a bunch of first hand beach stories...Including from me. . . . . .There should be a state law prohibiting people over 80 from running around with no clothes on

Serious beach commers should consider that long hot walk as a big plus....Less determined surfacers will not have checked the hardest to get at areas. And THATS where the Clovis imbedded in Mammoth bone can be found

SH
What a bunch of first hand beach stories...Including from me. . . . . .There should be a state law prohibiting people over 80 from running around with no clothes on

Serious beach commers should consider that long hot walk as a big plus....Less determined surfacers will not have checked the hardest to get at areas. And THATS where the Clovis imbedded in Mammoth bone can be found

Amen.

Re:SERIOUS EXPLORERS ONLY NEED LOOK !

I was exploring Google on the High Island / McFaddin beach when I stumbled across this massive report.

Google ::"BEACH ROAD 87 TEXAS "

Click top of list ( should be Texas Freeway .com )

Read the complete words...be sure to scroll down to pics

Re: Re:SERIOUS EXPLORERS ONLY NEED LOOK !

those pictures tell the story.....when it cools off I'll post some fossil pictures...all that stuff is in the attic....plummets and point are at my parents house under lock and key.There are also differnet type shells their.
GOOD LUCK

Here's another little detail to ponder while your wandering around picking up Clovis rocks . . . .

According to Tom & Ellen's report on the McF beach, in paleoindian days 13,500 BP, the sea was still rising. There was dry land to 108 miles farther out than it is today ! By coincidence. . . The famous "FLOWER GARDENS BANKS REEFS " are precicely 105 miles due south of McF beach.
The 3 reef formations are on the top of ancient salt dome uplifts.
So Mammoths and other exotic ancient fauna were grazing right at the surf line....You can bet your patooties that Paleo Indians sat right on top of those domes to have a birds eye look for game.

AND, just as we find plenty of flint flakes on the tops of prominent hills....the paleos must have knaped out a few Clovis points while waiting for the monsters that would soon be walking by

No collecting in the Flower gardens permitted

Re: macfaddin beach

I cant post the picture of the Folsom but here's the report on the point Melissa found on this beach.

Pic under "FOLSOM POINT " first posted Oct 7 2009

I apologize for all this posting. I have never done this before, but I found this arrowhead at McFaddin Beach in Sabine Pass,Texas. We went to the convention they had in Port Arthur Texas where Thomas Hester and Ellen Sue Turner, told me I had a great find. It is about 2 1/2-3 inches long and about a quarter inch thick. I loved how it is fluted all the way from the top to the bottom, with the small nipple on the base. I still cannot beleive it was whole. Just wanted to share my treasure.