Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Christners still has 'Em

Me and the wife went to Christners Sunday for a half day dig. With only one hour left I found the one in the middle which is a crude drill in my opinion. I found it layin on the side of the road as I was walkin round stretchin my legs. The wife said lets move before we run out of time to dig. We went about 50 yards and met up with a couple of guys who were diggin and I asked if we could dig next to them since they had found a great lookin Ensor about 1 1/4" long. I think it was Brandon that found it. I hope he puts up a picture of it cause it looks more like candy than flint. It is red and white and the red is the brightest red I have ever seen in flint.
Anyway, we sat down and I had only lossened about a coffee can full of dirt and out pops what appears to be a friday blade. The base is missin but what is left is exactly 4" and very nicely made. We all ooed and ahhed for a bit then I moved about two coffee cans of dirt and out pops the preform in 3 pieces. Yep you guessed it I smacked it right in the heart with my pick axe. I have it glued back together now. That was two big pieces only 6" apart. I had just about decided not to return to Christners till it cooled of later in the year but maybe I will go again soon.
I want to thank Brandon and Rob for lettin me and the wife sit in on their hole.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
This second picture is the side of the preform
This third picture is the side of the friday blade
This picture is an attempt at the friday lookin down the tip.
Then you got the funcky drill. The drill has a bunch of calcite deposits on it. Maybe you can see them in the first picture. These deposits occured afterr the piece was knapped. I can tell this since some of the deposits are built up in the larger flakes. Does this make it real old?

Re: Christners still has 'Em

Good report, good story, good finds ! You & Timi are great examples of stick to it ivness....Brand & Rob must be good people, If I was finding pieces in a given area, I would direct you to about 100 yards down the creek

Sure is a drill, maybe pointier when first made and worn down with use and resharpening.
"Scale " is good, shows its authentic ( not a plastic reproduction.) Not a good barometer of age though, some fairly young points will have some scale trace if the soil chemical makeup is right. If you happen to dig an undisturbed camp area sometime, most of the scale is on the bottom side ONLY. And well Below the general everyday surface, completely enveloped.

Re: Christners still has 'Em

Nice to have met you and your wife, I will try to get a pic up soon want to show a couple other things my wife and I have found at Christners.