Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Checkin' in

Hi all, it's your illustrious Digger T-shirt designer checkin' in. Been working on a new design, but unfortunately my talents are in layouts, not in actual drawing, so I don't quite know which direction to take it.

I stop by every week or so, I love seeing what everybody is finding. I've actually been pretty busy artifact-wise, so I'll show you what I've been up to...

Been out to my buddy's ranch in Blanco county to look around for a day, He's got some great spots.

A midden:

Photobucket

Some of what came out, I dig the little Montell:

Photobucket

These came out not too far from one another, They look kinda Bulverde-ish, but the tappered, concave base has me wondering. What do y'all think these might be?:

Photobucket

Some tools, got to love that pinkish Blanco flint:

Photobucket

A cloeup of the tool at bottom left, which I am particularly fond of:

Photobucket

A walk up one of the dry creeks produced this bright white tip, which we both agreed could be paleo. It fits style & flint-wise with the few paleo pieces he's found out there, but who knows?:

Photobucket
Photobucket

I've also been taking walks along different parts of Barton Creek and it's various tributaries. I've found a couple out of the way camps, some evidence of prior diggers, and some very pretty country. Here is some of what I found:

A cool Kerrville knife-chopper thingy, a nice, thin knife base, and a nice bright white patinated preform:

Photobucket
Coseup of the chopper:
Photobucket

Some worked flint:

Photobucket

...And lots of neat flakes:

Photobucket

Oh yeah, does anybody know what this stuff is? I find it in varying concentration all over central texas. Volcanic? Petrified poo??:

Photobucket

And I've recently acquired some stuff from John (nice guy!), at www.stonesandbonesmseum.com . Mostly heartbreakers, broken pieces, field grade points, and the stuff he can't sell for big bucks on eBay. Here are some of my favorites:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Even though I didn't spend much, it still feels kinda 'dirty' to spend money on points, like I'm scoring drugs or something...

Enjoy the show, I hope you don't mind my novice questions!

Re: Checkin' in

You HAVE been busy ! Good lookin Bulverdes.

That Nobbly stuff is markasite. Best check the explanations found on Google....
It's a natural mineral formation from deep cold water limestone..IF you found one in a camp context, it's cause somebody brought it home to show Mom

Tks for the share

looks like some form of coral to me. you guys are havin fun.

It doesn't seem to be crystaline in structure, although it is very soft, and brittle.

Bulverede huh? I've just never seen a such a finely crafted concave base on one, let alone two. They ARE my 2 favorite points though...

Here is another view of that pile, which IS all from Texas (Wilson, Guadalupe, Comal, and a few from Kerr, and Bell county):

Photobucket

The wedge base & small barbs got me ! Maybe the group of people in that camp liked the Marshalls they found around while surface hunting

Re that stuff...interesting how that material forms. Each and every one of those little bumps goes right to the middle. If you care to sacrifice one of the best very round ones, if you crack it in half with a cold chisel, its a beautiful star burst pattern. Badger found a few on a creek walk, insitu and loose. Go back to bottom of frt pg. Click icon with a drill in hand, marked February 2009. Run down til the cursur ( on the right) is at about 45% down. Note last pic shows some but not the best startburst.

Passing the 25% down you will pass a more traditionl square based birthday Bulverde