Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Yesterdays and todays needle tips !

Thought I'd go back to where I found that pretty little Nolan yesterday and wouldn't you know it.... right under the first layer of rock, pretty little Perd. Both with needle tips.
Here's todays before I cleaned it up.
Photobucket

Here's Yesterdays and todays together As they have been together already so many years... It would be a shame to seperate them.

Photobucket
Enjoy.

Re: Yesterdays and todays needle tips !

Very nice, two completes in one small area is rich

Hey Hal,

Thanks for the "At a boy" ! In that other Post you had said you weren't wild about the Nolan ID, and I am not either... It has the thinnest base I've ever seen on a Nolan. It was found with a mate from another era. The found loc. is a camp that slid off the side of a hill into a creek. The slide could have put the two together but there's no tellin. I've been walking past it for years on my walk to a big camp. Just decided to go off the trail at the right time. The big camp was occupied from Paleo through late archaic. The majority of my Perds and the only Nolans I've ever found were at the big camp.
Anyway, if you have any Ideas on the ID of the point I'm calling a Nolan, I'd like to hear em ?
Thanks again.

also possibly a yarbrough

pat kinyon
also possibly a yarbrough
i was looking in the turner hester book when i made this statement just looked in my 8th edition and the yarbrough looks alot like travis points but there is a drawing in T.H. that looks very simular to the point in question. so i bow to an experts opinion and thanks for my confusion. ok i will stick with my original guess and say lange its closer to the time frame. maybe i should just paint my toe nails tonight.

I'm only in charge of saying what it is not ....Pat's doing great on ID research

Incidentally that quarter is holding up pretty well for something almost a half a century old.
Or should I more correctly indentify it as a PENNY

Hey Y'all

Thanks for the help, I also am looking in Turner and Hesters Field guide. ( Not sure what edition ) I call mine the "dirty page edition", there is enough dirt and ash on the edge of the pages of my book to have it radio carbon dated. In my edition the Yarbrough pg. 197 btm lft does look the closest of any in the book. Also the era looks close if we use the perd as the medium. I really appreciate the help.
Both Lange and Yarbrough bases are still much thicker in the examples in the book than my rock. Maybe the knapper was trying to accomadate a small shaft :-)

Hal, When that qtr was minted, a penny (also well made in 64 w/ good copper) would buy more than a qtr will buy today. I guess I'm givin away my age. Ok point taken, I'll use an older coin for my next post. Thanks again. Have a good weekend. Happy hunting

maybe the montell people got a hold of an older point and was thinning it down to suit there needs and just couldn't figure out how to make the buck teeth or just didn't get a round tuit.

Pat, That's it's exact shape.... A one tooth Montell I have found several Montell bases and tips in the area, all their double teeth on there bases resemble this one and all of the tips I've found have been beautifully crafted with the finest of points, same as this one. I think you've got it.
thanks