Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
3 points from Chalk Bluff on Saturday the 21st

I was one of the 5 folks that braved the heat on Saturday. I found a triangular and 2 Ensors.

Re: 3 points from Chalk Bluff on Saturday the 21st

Nice finds, but i don't know how you guy's & gal's are putting up with the heat? It's hot enough inside, under a ceiling fan, with the A/C cranked down, little less digging in this heat!

Good job, Most folks viewing those nicely washed points on a clean hand are sitting in an airconditioned room....hard to imagine the heat & dirt it took to get them
I've seen quite a few "triangulars" come out of all three camps that are right in the vicinity of the chalk bluffs, I wonder what people made them ??? The triangulars

SH
Good job, Most folks viewing those nicely washed points on a clean hand are sitting in an airconditioned room....hard to imagine the heat & dirt it took to get them
I've seen quite a few "triangulars" come out of all three camps that are right in the vicinity of the chalk bluffs, I wonder what people made them ??? The triangulars
could it be that they are ensor preforms

Pat I totally agree! In bastrop county we have a few camp where I thought triangulars came out, preforms fo sho! Good call! And by the way those are great finds, I love ensors! My huntin buddy finds then all the time, and I get mad, he loves bird points and I find then! Oh well, maybe we should trade or somethin!!! Preforms are great though, I have an andice black chert preform and it is awsome!!! Just a guess though!! Diggin in this heat is horrible, it's been killin me, good job with grindin it out!

i also think that those triangles are ensor performs.

Just for the sake of conversation Were these Ensor people particularly lazy or attention span deficient ? So many preforms that just needed another 4 minutes of notching ! Others like the Perd and the Montell families didn't seem to have such a large percentage of preforms.

Had the preform ID not been postulated I was going to comment on what an awkward design a "triangle" was....
strange configuration for hafting or if just used by hand like a "thumbnail" scraper.....it would be like using a razor blade with 3 sides

Maybe they were just producing Ensor preforms for hobbyists to do the finish work at home.

I think there is a lot of uncertainty about identifying unstemmed points as there are less diagnostic features. Geography seems to be the key identifier. Being found in northern Uvalde County I would call it an ET as that is what most folks call triangulars there. If it was from southern Uvalde County or South Texas folks would probably call it a Matamoros or Tortuga. This point is beveled on both cutting edges from resharpening so is not a preform.
Fred

It looked beveled to me. Tortuga would have been my first guess until I compared it to mine. My tortugas are much more slender. ET's are also beveled on occassion but normaly wider. Still a good days worth.

What County are your Tortugas from? I am interested in information as to how to id the various triangulars. My rule of thumb is if you find it you can call it what you like. So it is an unfluted Clovis.
Fred

My stomping grounds are Frio and LaSalle county with occasional excursions into Dimmit. South Tx. brush country. A good percentage of the points from this area are unstemmed. I have a lot of Matamoros, Catan, Desmuke, etc. About 10 Tortuga's. All of my Tortuga's are slender, highly beveled points.

I have a place not too far away in Goliad County. Still looking for a complete point there but broken are triangular smallish and thin.