Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
fossil's

went for a short walk about again today to pick up a few of the bigger flakes for my friend big b t as he is trying his hand at knapping and found a couple of really neat fossil's

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Re: fossil's

Looking good, with the violent flood action, it's a wonder that they are not tumbled round as marbles

Cool Pat, Thanks for thinking of me and going out ot get that flint. Knapping is harder than it looks on you tube. Hope you find that 8" blade for being a great friend. Those fossil's are real cool.

nice fossils Pat. Good show

so i have a question simular to surface steve's. can i knock the excess rock off in the center of my bigger fossil and get a complete picture of that giant prawn? in u shaped form? i know absolutely nothing about this type of fossil but think it would look rather cool without the center part that i believe is not fossil.HELP BEFORE I DO SOMETHING LIKE GET MY HAMMER DRILL.

You could try some " delicate chipping " just for your experience on how to deal with future finds.

Every bit of those good finds are essentially hardened MUD ( Steinkerns ) there is no original shell to be found under any of the excess dirt.

Finds like these with ANY evidence of original shell is extremely rare ( MORE rare than finding a corner tang )and is highly prized by fossilisers

those work good in a fish tank.. i have 2 in there... they calcium helps with my GH and KH of the water!

plus they look cool...

Chris
those work good in a fish tank.. i have 2 in there... they calcium helps with my GH and KH of the water!

plus they look cool...

Lets talk this over ..
Pat DOES have a nice aquarium with Sclares ( Angel Fish ), he posted a pic under another topic.
These South American vintage fish CANT STAND the strong PH that ANY limestone creates.

Best Limestone fish are something like African Ciclids.

BUT a coat of Epoxy or Urethane boat paint will render those fossils OK.

G-10 points really look good in a tank ( sorta like the bottom of the creek sort of thing, long as their not too sharp )