Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FLINT FISHING LURE

Since I have been washing off my flint finds in the river after a dig, I noticed how the fish come around to investigate. Since flint is so colorfull and reflective shiney when wet, maybe they were attracted to the flint....I did an experiment..

I set a Perd point and a grouper sized hook on a rock to see what they would do...just to get started I put out a small mesh bag filled with bread just to get them around...
Photobucket

Photobucket

They did not seem to notice the test flint ( at least it did not scare them ) so I put down a little arrow to get them in the right direction...

Photobucket

Sure enough, the flint started getting as much attention as the bread..

Photobucket

Now I had an unforeseen problem...I still wanted to do a proper " look what I found " flint pic but they kept swarming over it and blocked the view..

Photobucket

This fish was just about to strike when this wisp of weed drifted by..

Photobucket

Even a big plastic " backround" sheet did not deter their interest in the flint test lure...

Photobucket

I woulda had this one if he had hit the other end of the hook !

Photobucket

The old ways are still the best just to get a pic of clean washed flint finds...

Photobucket

Test conclusion....flint knapped into the shape of a fish and attached to a hook would work good.

The spin off benefit of this research is that it might start a whole new " real " artifact sales ruch on Ebay....Immagine,,,genuine early archaic flint fish lures for only $ 79.99...

Re: FLINT FISHING LURE

hal, i dont think you need that bag o bread i think the fish are more interested in the (pig pen effect) of all the minerals and dust that is washing off your body. and i also noticed i didnt see a dirty pic of michelle every time i saw her pic her blue shirt looked clean and pressed? what did she do, hire someone to get dirty for her. next time you do an underwater visual iwould like to see something a little more exciting than those phirranna. how about sharks next time.

P, let me be clear on this ....

You think the fish are interested in nibbling on me.....
and you want me to use SHARKS next time ???

SH
P, let me be clear on this ....

You think the fish are interested in nibbling on me.....
and you want me to use SHARKS next time ???

ok h,you do have a (point) there, but they do make cages.

Wouldn't putting Hal in a cage in shark infested waters be similar to the bread in the bag?

you need a bigger hook

Tehuacana
Wouldn't putting Hal in a cage in shark infested waters be similar to the bread in the bag?

te thats funny right there i dont care who you are,i think you gave hal a new nickname ....... chum!

CH ( Chum Hal ) doesn't seem have the same dignity as Shallow Hal. Besides, it's too close to what some in the Austin area already call me.....like the tax man, business people and car repair garages....." Chump " Hal

Te, Your " man in the bread bag " observation was well done ( or Chump in the bread bag )

Back to real flint business; That underwater Perd has a secondary story to tell.
Notice It has been carefully resharpened after laying out in the sun long enough to bleach the surface white. Thats a very lucky Perd....The original owner AND the second owner never hafted it to brake while hunting.

That's a good example of points being reworked hundreds, if not thousands of years later. Somebody finding an antique and re-using it. Those Indians were a frugal bunch weren't they?