Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Inscribed rocks

This one is from georgetown tx
Photobucket
This is my new one from bell county.
Photobucket
I was wondering mostly about the small holes in both rocks. I have had more than one person ask about it and couldnt figure out the material. It can be seen pretty clearly in the second photo but here are some closeups for good measure. Appreciate any info.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: Inscribed rocks

looks like one for idaho.

I cant offer any sure explanation for the "holes" ( I never knew anyone picky enough to need such an evaluation )
Nature does amazing things to her earth. ALL "pieces" of limestone was once a contiguous section of Ocean seabed, , , ,so..
Maybe those are gas bubbles ( from decaying material )
Maybe minute creature holes OR...minute creatures had eaten bits of food within the sea bottom and left cavities like empty dishes.

Like everybody else I was trying to make something out of the etched lines. Making your brain look for a picture ontop of a picture...Did you see that the top ( white stone ) lines are carefully spaced in a NW - SE diagonal direction.... Maybe the guy wasn't happy with it and just scribbled other lines over it.

Same story on the brown one..We can all see the artfully etched "ladders"....THEN all kinds of random lines to erase it ( without an eraser )

Very nice unique finds, new seperate display frame for artwork ??

I see a small circle on top of the "ladder", a snake perhaps?

heavenly.

Maybe they are "cutting boards" ? They do seem to have some sort of a pattern to them. So maybe for different size cuts of whatever. Or maybe just a ruler.

P.s. For you guys that still remember me I am Still doing the army thing in Arizona, but My orders have me going back to Ft. Hood soon =)

Love those things. Wish I had some in my collection!

Maybe it was used by the elders to keep track of a tribes longevity? Or a hunters kills?

I just posted something about these rocks under " SUNDAY FINDS " ...it would have been better here

I dont think this is "inscription" instead with what little I know or dont know....I think this is the layout for the knapping.if you look at the "ladder" you can see the closeness of the cuts...to me this was going to be a serrated edge...the top right hand side has a few vague marks on it but if you look at the overall outline of the marks..you can see the outline of a blade or knife...very cool find, congrats!!!!!

SH
..We can all see the artfully etched "ladders"....]

Hal, How You doin'? First thing I thought of when seeing this pic was the shell piece you found at Leakey with the three ladder like etchings.

Is that a common pattern?

Sam

Good memory S, to bring other readers up to speed....go back to the front page...Icons at the bottom... click on " TANCAOYE "

I dont really know what to make of the rocks in question. hope I dont hurt anybody's feelings but if " etchings " dont form somekind of an identifiable pattern is it really "artwork" ?

When I see these type of things ( Shells & rocks ), soon after my thoughts of " what is it?....is....what was the creator thinking of ?? NOT how good an artisan he was...what was he trying to portray
The "ladder" treatment is similar alright.

My best plan to get to the bottom of pictographs is to keep digging and looking for a rock or shell that might have a Buffalo or an Eagle in beautiful detail
inscribed