Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
the hunt is on

i really dont know how we are going to afford it but this opportunity cant be wasted.from the 5th thru the 13th i will be on over 100 sections of west texas private property.confirmed tonight! wildlife photos coming. big deer, antelope, hogs, flint out the wazzuuu. beer drinkin not to mention beer drinkin. did i mention beer drinkin. this is the place i get tremendously excited about every year its sooooo big we are going to get lost everyday. whooo hhoooo. since we have acquired a new camera i will be able to share it with all of you guy' n gal's. last year i found a rare val verde base,its thinner than my 2 favorite points the montell and the langtry. a possible paper may be required since i have started learning how to knapp. just want to keep you guy's n gal's on your toes. so with that being said wish me well.

Re: the hunt is on

Is this the Kinyon equivelent of "reserving a space" for future finds..?? last time somebody tried that, it went on for over 1000 hits without a single piece of flint

With all that room, what about holding a SURFACEFEST for the whole gang ??

And what about the almost here deer hunting season ? Must be a bit warm walking around with a metal trash can over your head.

with envy !

ONE HUNDRED SECTIONS

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY ACRES ARE IN ONE SECTION..???????????????????????????

A surfacer would take from Dawn to dark just to walk a straight line to reach the sides...Needs an overnight camp on both sides

SH
ONE HUNDRED SECTIONS

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY ACRES ARE IN ONE SECTION..???????????????????????????

A surfacer would take from Dawn to dark just to walk a straight line to reach the sides...Needs an overnight camp on both sides

645 acres in 1 section and its more like 110 sections. walk it heck i will be lucky to see half of it driving around. last year i probably covered around 20% found a few hot spots. this year going to hit the hot spots then try to cover areas ive never been before and will be lucky if i can cover 20% of it again this year. this place is huge and is the head waters and main drainage for the middle concho river. it takes about an hour and 15 mins to drive from the cabin to one of my favorite hunting areas cruising at about35mph.

Can I go? Sure seems like your best friend in the west should be able to get on this trip as well. If not can you at least stop by for some back porch sippin an knappin? Good luck!!!!!!!

hey BIG B.T.
i wish you could go that would be a blast but sadly its not my call. but there is hope you could go hang out with your uncle on the rocker b. and we could walk hunt the fence line together but if you find one on my side ITS MINE. i think theres only 207 sections on that ranch.HEY your wife would'nt trade vehicles with me that week cause it sure would be nice to have my own jeep out there.
p.s. will be home next weekend to gather up the gear.

There is actually 640 acres to a section, just thought I would point that out. Although everything is bigger in Texas. Sounds like one heck of a time.

pimp brisket
There is actually 640 acres to a section, just thought I would point that out. Although everything is bigger in Texas. Sounds like one heck of a time.

man your right! but your right everything is bigger in TEXAS. i really dont know what possessed me to add those 5 acres i knew better so we'll blame it on the lonestars even tho i posted in the morn..

points of intrest.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Well Pat, that's what I've been wondering. If an aerial view could possibly give some clues as to where to hunt. A lookout, bend in the river, outcropping, convergence of game trails, etc. Looks like you're starting to get the same idea. It would sure save a lot of time driving or walking if these points were located before-hand by aerial view then checked out on the ground.

Photo interp is good , Your using Google MAP...if your PC can handle it, may I suggest Google EARTH...
If you've not seen it...you might ask some one to demo it for you. Come down to tree top level and do a 360*

photo interp is in the eye of the beholder ..Your first top pic appeared and I thought ,,,
" Whats he doing researching an old copper mine quarry " teeHee
I once had the opurtunity to look at the pyramids of Egypt on 9X9 stereo laydowns....AMAZING,,,,,

THREE SQUARE HOLES ON THE DESERT

This is shaping up to be THE expedition of the year...
-One person to explore square miles of Indian country
-terrain like NW Texas !
-Deer season opens the day after the safari starts !

Sounds like a winner, seems like the only hindrance is how to get 8 days' beer supply into that tiny little delivery van you drive

hal i did download google earth but i guess the family doesnt want anything closer than you can get from google maps cause the closer you get the blurrier it gets i would love to get tree top level thats a sure fire way to find for sure deals in the artifact department.any other suggestions are welcome. this is my utopia and wish i could have all of my friends there to share with. i will do my best to get a good photo documentary for all to see, i have 3 new cards just for this expedition. now i know that thats over 900 pic opportunities but i want to be prepared.

can I ask you what part of N.W. Texas, i just was wondering what part of Texas you are looking at going to.it will make a difference on what to look for in the landscape.

sterling ,tom green , reagan, irion counties, but mainly sterling and irion.

tommorow is gun range day. the start of the hunt will offically commense.my pics of the hunt will start with the fire arms used on this fun filled next 2+weeks. my mind is on fire thinking about this trip have so much to do. i will be sleep deprived just making sure i leave no stone unturned. and once again i feel like when its time to leave i will have missed something or forgotten something and this will be a blurr and over.
all i will have is a great memory shared.

Sheeze Pat, your going to need an extra weeks' vacation just to recover from your two weeks vacation

Good luck with the hunt,I have hunted camps on the Rocker B, and all along the Centralia Draw. Years ago I was an oil field pumper so I had a chance to cover several hundred miles in a day. Found a good camp once with several griding stones, they had all been flipped over with rubbed side down, I guess they did this when they'd leave (to heavy to tote), I brought one home, is is about 12"x24". You should find lots of scrapers, hand axes,drills,etc.

Rob
Good luck with the hunt,I have hunted camps on the Rocker B, and all along the Centralia Draw. Years ago I was an oil field pumper so I had a chance to cover several hundred miles in a day. Found a good camp once with several griding stones, they had all been flipped over with rubbed side down, I guess they did this when they'd leave (to heavy to tote), I brought one home, is is about 12"x24". You should find lots of scrapers, hand axes,drills,etc.

There's a tidbit of ancient life...Big matate stones flipped over. "They" must have had some sense of
comming back and keeping the food surface clean ( clean [er] than up catching rain and decomposing leaves )
Trying to think back...at least half the matates we have found have been "bowl down".

One could speculate that stones found "up" were that way due to a hasty departure or just thinking " no need to flip, we're never coming back this way ever again "

well if this weekend is any preview of what is to come,i need a month or two to hunt because this weekend is just a blurrrr. had a grand time on the back porch breaking flint with my friend BIG B.T. and consuming some cold refreshing adult bevarages. we did make it to the range under time constraints so i didnt get but 1 pic and i can assure ya'll i will NOT be carrying this hunting with me because with a full rotary clip it weighs about 25 pounds.
Photobucket

try bing maps .com it may come in a little clearer.

its a 45 cal tommy gun better known as a thompson sub.oh by the way have i told ya'll my shouler is SORE. my other friend J.J. could'nt get his 300 weatherby magnum sighted in after 6 rounds so being the dummy i am i had to put another 5 in it before it was right. it only took 2 to clean the bore on mine, still on after 20 years.

Great pre season report. That Chicago skeet gun is a beauty. The sighting in requirement is a last millennium hold over. Accuracy at 600 yds is not needed if the blind is positioned 20 feet from the feeder

not 1 blind on this ranch.the only place the deer are actually feed are around the houses and in the sanctuaries. lots of spot and staulk hunts,rattling,and driving around listening to 70's music.

Sure was fun this weekend. To bad we did not get to go to the toe nail. See in a few days.

my bag o tricks is ready.
Photobucket
i sure hope my hatchet is sharp enough.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
well i hope they prove me wrong but at least the RANGERS made it to the world series they did well. way to go rangers. i really thought the astros would do it first anyway.

pat kinyon
not 1 blind on this ranch. lots of spot and staulk hunts,rattling,and driving around listening to 70's music.

Good deal, All the right tools are essential.

What do you suppose it is about 70's music that attracts deer

d day is upon me. hal the 70's is just easy listening and the deer just love it. here is a pic of last years freak,(the unicorn) 5 in main beams and a split brow tine but only a 14 inch spread. the smaller 0f the 2 bucks i got.let several 14o, 150 class bucks walk. saw only 1 record book buck, but their there!
Photobucket
im working on that 1000 hits before i post the flint i find this next week.so if when i get back theres not over a 1000 no flint pics..
will miss my austin digger family but not that much.

camera's are set and the traps are laid.time for a little nap.

I'll add this hit to run up the tally
Unicorn is unique. We wish you good luck this season...
your gonna need it what with stalking, clambering over rough country, binocularing, staying hydrated and looking down for flint

thanks for the good luck, i will need it.your right its going to be hard to stay focused with as many things on the agenda. will be thinking of you this week wondering what would you do.well time for the loading and the driving so see ya'll in 10 days.

I heard a report about a 5 inch Lerma. Stay tuned...

Paul Kinyon
I heard a report about a 5 inch Lerma. Stay tuned...

SHEEZE, We hope not...We'll never hear the end of it The most we had hoped for was another Tricorn deer head

More teasers...should be a good full report.
1. Hunter gets heavy racked symmetrical 10 point that green scores 160 4/8.
2. "THE CAMP" has been located...spring on top of bluff, flint debitage runs 100 yards on both sides of creek.
3. Pat has spotted two 180 class bucks...and the weather is supposed to get cold Friday and Saturday.

Time will write the rest of the story...complete with photos.

Tks for the running commentary Paul, there are interested people following Pat's progress.

A little cold, rain and snow is just what a good adventure story needs

PS::this slot has reached the magic 1000 hits....If you can get the word to Pat...." to heck with the expense, start a new clean hit spot " ( please )

Little brother is exhausted and has a couple days work to finish before he makes it back home. There will be a nice report to follow, be patient. (Pat knows I collect Pandales, so he found a real nice one just for me. What a bro!)

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..