Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
another question

Photobucket

ok here's another queston on an older point...hubby is wanting to show the colors that he sees in this clear point better...it has been said that this is rootbeer agate/ basin agate/ etc......but hubby was wondering if anyone had a idea on how to photograph it to where it would show the red tones better. He is just wanting to get a picture of it that does not look so sun bleached. He sees more red and orange in it with his magnifying glass than what the photo shows, is what he is what getting at.

Re: another question

any way you look at it gemstone quality artifacts are beautifull.that one is a real wowzer.try NOT using a soft white lightbulb and find a bright clear bulb and use a black background. a dark room and no flash. like a box with a hole in it Just big enough for your lens with the inside of the box painted black.have the artifact lay on a thin layer of cotton like material laying on a piece of glass with a droplight under it and outline your artifact with eletrical tape to keep excess light out or something like that.good luck,it looks like it has rainbow colors in it with the pic you have already taken. i have dreamed about finding that artifact like that, that you could use as a magnifying glass.

Re: another question

I agree, all of Pat's suggestions are very good. All flint pics can be challenging but because that particular piece is clear, at least SOME light has to come from behind....Pixels are inexpensive, just experiment a lot.

Clear on black, as described, seems best but you might try backlighting a piece of glass with a piece of white paper on it. Try a pic with the point WET. Matter of fact, I wonder what such a clear piece might look like completly immersed in water ?? Like cut a plastic milk jug in half. Should be a nice opaque backlit effect ..

PS: DONT use the half of the jug with the Label

Re: another clear point

The latest issue of the " CENTRAL STATES ARCH JOURNAL " has an article on a clear Paleo point ( from North Carolina )

Photobucket

Here's a crystal on display at the Tucson show

Photobucket

Possibilies unlimited

man H. whom ever found that piece of crystal did'nt just walk up and carry it away.
p.s. welcome back!

Hal, that crystal display is awesome. i'd think just that display along with warmer weather would be well worth the trip.

Wow!!! Its all awesome!!