Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Another Day at the Creek

Spent a few minutes out at the creek yesterday and finally got time today to download the pic. A couple of scrapers and what I've been told is a trade blank. Not that the flint in this area is really worth trading unless you live in an area with no flint.

Re: Another Day at the Creek

Nice finds! Is the top one halved? It looks a lot like an axe blade I have. Sweet stones.

dang tehuacana. its so bright.

It's been overcast and that flash went off. Hate it when that happens. I'll try another pic. and see if I can't get enough natural light.

This is the obverse side of it and the thumb scraper.
I don't think it's an ax head Kris, the ones I've seen are thicker then this one. This one is too thin and large for a handy scraper either.

Looks like it could be a trade blank. Is there any sign of edge wear otherwise?

No signs of usage at all. At first I thought it had the shape of a Clear Fork but it didn't have the turtle back to it. A little bit of hinge fracturing on one side, probably a birth defect on the stone. I tried to picture it as a tool but there's no "right" side of it that could be used comfortably. All edges are sharp.

could it be a small covington blade.

Thanks Lunkerbrad. This blade comes out of S.Tx. I checked the books and Hester doesn't have it listed. Perino does but it just says Central Tx. So I don't know if the range has been expanded since Perino wrote his book or if Covingtons are found regulary down here. First one like this that I've found.

What about "reverse" trade blank ?? Maybe your locals had already traded to get that "blank" from " up north " for a gallon of Southern Aguave juice !

Tools are good

Could be Hal. As backwards as this S.Tx. bunch of Indians was, they probably traded 20 good Matamoros points for that blank. Then didn't know what to do with it. Just left it there for me to find. This came out of the same site I find all those dang Clear Forks.