Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
burnt rock site?

look at these two photos and tell me if you think this is "burnt rock"? Thanks.
burnt rock area-2

burnt rock area

Re: burnt rock site?

from what i can see in the pics it looks like a pourous lava type rock but definately worth a better look if you are finding flint shavings in the area. love the sand blows.

hubby found a lot of the flint shavings...will let him know, thanks. I know the rocks aren't pourous though, but will look agian at the site.

hubby also found fossil bones in the area. He found pieces that looked like pearls....so now he wants to find the teeth, hahaha! some of the pieces have one straight fluting to the center, with knapping on the side and the bottom looks as though it has been grounded..hubby has a friend that leased 1800 acres to hunt.so they are trading off "burnt rock" sites.......lmao!!

S, "burnt rock" in your part of TX is not going to be the same as midden fire rock of CenTx. Your "fire rock" may have been from a hearth or fire ring with limited exposure to really high heat.

The "proof of the pudding" of that site is the flint Flakes. It's impossible to think of any fire rock location without flint flakes. And moreover, If you dont find ANY small at least broken pieces of worked flint , it means some surfacer was there before you.

another suggestion,a small light gas powered leaf blower to help mother nature with the sand blows.

Sh, thanks, hubby did find a good handful and he has found one matate there so will keep looking, this is an open site so we can take our time. got to get my eans and boots on next time lol too many stickers hahaha!

Pat,I don't know if you have ever been out here in WEst Texas, but Mothe nature has no need of help with blowing, lol. Our winds can get up to 40, 50 or 60 mile an hr. but thanks for the idea we do have one spot on another area that we could use that with.

all of a sudden i have paleo visions, especially if your in winkler or midland counties. good luck and good hunting.

we are in Gaines county, but this was a large gathering area for the indians for years, the old timers here, gathered a lot of arrowheads when it was first setteled so, the few rememnts that we find may just be that, rememnts. The Smithsonian Institute had one of the largest donations made from a man here by the name of John Fryberger, which is funny, as a lot of the ones he had my husband and his litle friends found as kids and the old man would buy them off of the kids. just think....he would give the kids a dollar to five dollars back then for some of the most prestigeous points that he donanted, . Guess, though, it didtn take much to get into the movie theater at that time.

Re: burnt rock site?.......new pics

knapping pieces

Photobucket

close-up

better close-up

bone and  knapping pieces

ok here is a set of photos of the pieces hubby found, the white bone on the paper to me has to be to a wing/feather.I have more pics of this fossil set that he found, will post later, this is the one he wants to find the teeth or the skull to lol,

**** fly......I didnt want any live pets in this..

Looks like some high quality flint. I see one piece in the fourth pic. bottom right corner that's been worked. That burnt rock looks like the pieces we find in S. Tx. only ours is smaller. We also have red sand which makes it great after a windstorm to hunt. Wind does better then rain in exposing the points down here.

the top one on the left hand side of the 4th and 5th picture has knapping also.I just didnt have it turned the right way.. lol.. most of the ones in the 4th and 5th photos as my hubby calls it has human fingerprints(knapping marks) on them. I will try later to get better pics......have had a rough "chemo" day so this will be enough posting for today.
Thanks to E1 for their remarks, I appreciate your opinions.

Your hubby has found a camp. Back in the 80's I lived around Big Spring and found burnt rock in several cotton fields, and found buckets full of pieces like he has found. Points were few and far between but tools were in abundance, apparently the camps that I had searched were more of a food processing camp.

Rob's endorsement is excellent...you have a found a true ancient camp.

It doesn't get much better,,,now the work begins.

Before I got to the bottom of the flake pics, I thought," all BIG pieces, that aforementioned wind has done it's work "
All that flint indeed shows flint implements were being made there BUT the smaller to itty bitty flakes are
gone. I suggest your next steps should include a closer investigation of any obvious rain runoff
depresions. Pull some plants up and check the loosened soil. Artifacts could / should collect with the smaller flint.

The "thing" about finding artifacts in High wind shallow soil conditions OR artifacts in flash flood prone CenTx.......... Once an object finds a deep cozy nitch, future typhoons and floods will pass right over ( for centuries ) Thats where to look next.

Do you have a set of "His N Hers" matching knee pads ?

The white thing in the lower left is a piece of a large tooth split N & S...Bison, horse, Moose ?

We like the pet fly touch, people from all over Tx are taking pics of their most common local wildlife

good morning sandy,you too hal.
it looks to me that a couple of the tool looking pieces could have been used as spoke shaves. the diameter of the shaves look fairly small so hals idea of knee pads is great because those smaller arrow points are hard to see if you pace is fast and tall.i looked at where gaines co. is and it brought back memories of visiting our uncles in new mexico where we would find red ant beds and stand there getting bit all day just to find a few turquois beads.hope the morning finds you feeling well.

Sandy, My dad used to be the Game Warden in Gains area, many years ago. He still talkes about a camp he found there, that useded to be called Blueberry Hill. Dad found several paleo points there, including a Midland and a Clovis. He thinks it is coverd up with CRP now, but it sure could be the sme place.

hi everyone,sorry its taken me awhile to get back.chemo brain makes me absent minded right now, lol. thanks for everyones opinions I will go back out in a few days and get some better pictures. there is a different sand layer(not the usual red sand type) that i want to break through. I will get those knee pads, lol. on one side of the camp area the wild grass has grown up and over the flat surface ot the soil so will start there. Its close to where he found what we think is the matate. I have one more picture of one i found that has the cut marks in it and is shaped like an axe head with a small part that could have been tied to a lance? or stick. the lines in it is what caught my eye.