Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FIREPIT FIND FEEDING FRENSY

Richard dug a narrow "test" trench for digfest, parallel to the creek and just below where fire pits were dug during the previous year.
Just enough room for one row of diggers.

Photobucket

This is Jamie and Jamie working this section of trench

Photobucket

Here are their finds up to the time I was there. note the bone. Identifiable bone was always found around ALL firepits as was many worked pieces of flint.

Photobucket

I went back the following week and was surprised how well the fire pit ( also called hearths & fire rings )
showed up.

Photobucket

Charcoal is still evident.

Photobucket

Just 2 bases, shown to Pat's friends..

Photobucket

Next visit....back in the firepit. I just found a point. note bones on square towel.

Photobucket

Its a nice but small triangle

Photobucket

Points are always found around the fire rocks so plenty of room to explore ..

Photobucket

Always worth a peck at the Gten wall

Photobucket

I was sure a meat cutting blade was going to pop out right where I was digging..

Photobucket

Unfortunatly it seems they just gnawed the meat off with their teeth....all I got was the wreckage

Photobucket

Time for the major fire pit experts to take over.....
Ben & Jessie. Note how much dirt has been excavated
to this point.

Photobucket

This is Ben's firepit reward for today. He got a very light colored Ensor two days before that I didn't get a pic of. Jess got an Ensor and some pieces today..

Photobucket

Before Ben discovered digging,,,,he started life as a professional surfacer. He was very pleased to show these finds from elsewhere on the ranch...
A TRADE POINT and a GUN FLINT

Photobucket

Badger needed more "elbow room" and so went after a washdown section ....with great results..

Photobucket

A BANDY and a foot bone..

Photobucket

As if to confirm the age of the Bandy, next find was an ANGOSTURA with impact fracture. Whats left was
nice quality workmanship and very smooth ground base.

Photobucket

WOW....a very rare piece of POTTERY

Photobucket

It was filled with candies...Must be something the digfest crowd missed..

Photobucket

Re: FIREPIT FIND FEEDING FRENSY

sweet Hal. now that's what it looks like when I dig in Granbury. lots of bone and chargoal left. awesome trade point too. never seen anyone find one.

Great report Hal. I needed a fresh flint fix. I am now in Naples Florida on a three-week assignment. I met Tom on the way and he brought some excellent coral points to show off. Not to mention his G-10 Clovis point as well. Slowly but surely I am working my way back to the flint country. For now I am taking nourishment via your great pictorials. Good to see you got the dirt diva out to dig a bit. Keep em coming. Cheeers !

hey if you get a chance could you clean the bone pieces up and repost photos of them, thanks

T, I'm in the market for a trade point too ...my best metal detecting efforts over camps have gotten zip.
I'm thinking areas of TX that had plentiful, good quality raw flint available were slower to accept the white man's metal

Ida, if your in touch with Tom, your in the best of care in Fl. I've seen a few of his best once when he was at a Nach dig.
How are you fixed for shark tooth " points "?? Venice beach is unbelievable for them, from rays to Megladon.
Dont have to put your swimmies on, they have stores along the waterfront with just teeth like some places have souvenir shops
I'm no longer envious of your type of job....if they can shift you around to cover the disaster areas..
you might find yourself in New Jersy one day

Lunk, Yeah, I made a progressive story out of the fire
pit and it's still on going right now. But its slowing down as the overhang gets worse and getting the dug soil out is brutal. ( needs another delicate backhoe manicure )

S, Most diggers set those type of bones aside but dont take them home They are all properly cracked for the marrow. Badger did keep the foot bone as it was complete ( and big ) pic if I can remember.

Great report SH, congrats to all who found flint

Hal that metal trade point come from another site not Chrisners but was a surface find. The gun flint did come from Chrisners sure wish Gun was with it.
Ben O. H.

Ben O. H.
Hal that metal trade point come from another site not Chrisners but was a surface find. The gun flint did come from Chrisners sure wish Gun was with it.
Ben O. H.

still a grand find

sandy
hey if you get a chance could you clean the bone pieces up and repost photos of them, thanks

Only kept the toe bone, nothing special.
I was digging about 7 feet away and found the quite large tooth ( would have been more impressive if the
roots were still there.)
Now the white bones are of some interest. They are from the Nacho dig south of Camp Wood. They are
mineralised to near fossil consistancy. Must have been a pretty bony animal....3 other tables found and kept similar bones.

Photobucket

thanks for showing the "tteth" bones...I have been looking at what hubby found and thougth itmight have been from the wing of some sort of bird creature.I will try and post the pictures, hubby's are not joined just a lot of pieces. Also he now wants a book on ancient tools....lol..onward and upward!!
unknown bones-2

unknown bones-4

unknown bones-1

ok these are the pictures ...let me know what you think!

S, well now that we see the whole collection.....No teeth ( and no bird wings )
They all seem to be such a uniform color and lack ( on the pics ) visible strirated structure lines. I'd say its mineral.
Other guesses might be fragments of giant ( but delicate) clams.
Flow stone ( from cave walls )

Brought back to camp by curious indians, no work seems to be done to them...They didn't know what to do with them either