Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Got a few nice ones recently ( Translucent Crystal Point )

Photobucket
The Angostrura and the Bulverde are eazy. What about the other two ? Maybe Pallmias or godley on the one.
The translucent crystal piece is also not easy to I.D. could be a Perd
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Enjoy

Re: Got a few nice ones recently ( Translucent Crystal Point )

well done kris,
some very nice finds indeed.i will give you my 2 cent tour of identification. from left to right, angustura, ,bulverde, ,unfinished and could be many points my best guesses are kent#1 or nolan, ,and that last point i think you nailed it with pedernalis but i could be wrong for the umpteenth time. what makes it special is in the single sun pic where you can actually see the cracks to know just how fragile and lucky it stayed complete that thing looks like its about to fall apart in your hand. congrats!

Very good, what a nice classic Bulverde

That neat crystal point must have seemed a "silver bullet" to the original knapper, maybe just for hunting the white buffalo

I was curious about the distinction between " crystal" and "quartz"..... Google learning time ( for me )...
Quartz listed as the most common mineral on earth and usually flawless. Chalcedony is a form of quartz combined with other mineral coloring elements.

Crystal seems to be more a descriptive term that applies to HUNDREDS of minerals.

So your point is a very neat find indeed

Hal, your probably right in the quartz direction
The quartz is so light and clean it gives an appearance of crystal. It's not clear enough to be crystal. The point quality alone is kinda rough, I don't know if it's possible to knapp crystal, it looks like the knapper was strugling with the stone structure. Thanks for comments fellas !

K, Here's a pic of two quartz "points" I found while diggng a bird point camp. Admittedly crude by flint standards but they are the best I have ever found along with many "lumps" of quartz that didn't knap at all..

Photobucket

nice finds, congrats