Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
knapped quartz piece

found this at the "burnt rock site the other day....thought it was interesting, I foud a larger piece but threw it down, will go back for it in a little bit
knapped quartz
knapped quaetz
knapped quaetz
knapped quartz piece?

let me know what you think!

Re: knapped quartz piece

Thats the stuff, found in an indian camp was surely brought there to see what they could do with it.

But where's all the little pointy rocks

somewhere near is a see-through point

I very may well be wring but I do t think that's quartz. To my completely untrained eye it appears to be topaz, which points have also been made from. In my opinion, a gemstone point is cooler than a lousy old quartz piece any day!!!! Keep digging though we're finding the same stuff at our site and I still have hope of finding that g10 topaz perd.

yep, we think so too and thats the little rock with the sharp points we are looking for,lol! found one area still with black dirt, that will be the main hunting spot, I checked the area of black dirt out and it only extends to a certain circumfrance(sp), I have at least a 10 ft area that is still covered and has the black dirt. the depth will vary with the lnadscape. So, maybe we will start digging, normally we only surface hunt, and find a few and leave a few behind for the next surface hunter. We have left several behind that we have found, I did bring two home that i thought were similar in shape to go in my flower bed though.
so, will let you know if anything else interesting xomes from this site.

I didn't want to say topaz....hubby goes nuts over that.now I will have to go scour the field again to find the piece I threw done. But thanks for your response.

tucker..hubby wants to know if you looked at our other clear point, and what you thought of it?
I am going to send it in hopefully in the next month or so and have it papered but will have it papereed more than once, as we have too many that want to buy it. Since we dont know what classification it is , as I have said before it wont be sold at all until the authenication takes place. So, still open to any ideas or opinions about it.

Ahh, I had not associated this piece with the "clear point." I would say, though, that if the two pieces are from the same site, that they are almost certainly from the same hunk of material. It looks to me like the flaking on the point is much too crystalline and fine to be quartz. The quartz points I have seen have more imperfections and uneven fractures in the material, while I hear topaz is a better medium for knapping. As to the I'd of the point, I'm not sure; the flaking style appears to me to be early archaic semi random flaking. Whatever it is though, the knapper had far greater skill, and knapping resources, than the Indians I my area.

no...the two pieces are not from the same site..the point was found years ago when hubby was a kid, and in a different part of gaines county, actaully on the other side of the county, We will hopefully be back out at the burnt site in a few days...cant handle this cold weather right now, but we did start a bit of a 'hole" to start the scraping process.

we know some people that have some land in NE, Gaines county, that leased some land around the Quannah Parker camp site areas, that we are hoping to get access to. So will let everyone know...who knows maybe a Gaines county "dig" might can be arranged.