Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pesos, Preforms, and Drill

I got a little time in hunting over at Big Wells. Found a couple of preforms, a little drill, and a 20 peso coin. Too many new footprints headed north for me to hang around much longer.

Re: Pesos, Preforms, and Drill

I hear you Ken. Out here its getting almost unsafe to go out and do any kind of hunting. Glad to see you found a few. I know how hard it is to hunt always looking over ones shoulder. I gave up my good hunting areas over a year ago. Hope things get better soon.
safe and happy hunting. AL.C

Good to hear from you again, Al. Hadn't seen you on the board in a while so I thought you'd headed back up to the mountain country.

Good job, the collection grows
That drill design seems more useful as a true "drill" rather than some we have seen with a slim, fragile 3" bit.
The coin is a new "surfacing" possibility...there could be millions of dollars worth of foreign money thrown away the closer the owner got to the welfare office

Photobucket

I did go on a little trip pack up to Chaco Canyon Ken. Each trip I find more new things to explore. I did some hard hiking this time because it was cool weather and found so many things most people will never see. One must get as far away from the site as you can to really find the good stuff. All this trip did was make it no doubt I must get back.
Hope you and yours are having a great Thanksgiving. AL.C

That's something we'll never see in S. Tx. I figure with all the Clear Forks around here that their shelters were nothing but branches thrown against a tree branch and covered in hides. Temporary shelters. Had to be a cold miserable winter.
How old are those dwellings? Thousand years old or more?

nice finds for DUCK season T.E. AL. now thats an identifiable campsite thanks for the visual. would love to see a twilite shot with a flash over that site to see the spirits dancing around.

It'd make a good duck blind wouldn't it? Be a little drafty though.
Were those the old trails going into the site Al? Or has that site been visited a lot by more recent hunters and point gatherers leaving all of those trails?

looks like a paved road leading right to it.

The site is protected ken so those trails you see are not from point hunters. They are trails for the tourist to get around the site. What I took was some of the thousand year old trails that go in straight lines like they were done with a surveyor's instrument. They go for miles and come to other small sites. Its almost unbelievable that they could have built them that straight over hills and valleys. You have to see them to believe it. The ground is covered with artifacts for miles beyond the sites.

A surface hunters paradise. Mabbe they used the sun to keep on a fairly straight path. Just wonder if there was some drastic climate change from then till now for them to make camps in such desolate country.

Good pic of a NM camp. Maybe someone from Tx can reciprocate with a Tx camp ( if they can find one rock
sitting on top of another ! )
Happy Hols to you too.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This is what is out there if one is willing to do the hiking and climbing. Notice the foot ladders to get up into these. Its a thrill to climb up into what were these people's homes a couple thousand years ago. Hey Hal, you ready for another hike? You did good on the last one. I'm ready when you are. Might need to bring a little more water on these.
Happy turkey day to all. AL.C