Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Creek digging pic from 11-13-10

Here are my finds from digging in the creek in Burnet County. November was slow for me for digging. This was the only time I got go, but hopefully I can make up for it this month!

I'm not quite sure about the round ball on the top right, but I am pretty sure it is some type of fossil. It has tiny pores all over the surface, maybe some type of ancient ocean plant? The rootbeer colored point appears to be nolan because of the beveled stem. The highlight of the day was the black flint point I found. It is very pointy and still sharp. It seems if it was made out of a different material than the other black point I found. This one is smoother and more shiny, while the other was rougher and dull. I didn't find as much as I did the two times before so I think the area I was in is playing out. Guess I will move further down creek.

Re: Creek digging pic from 11-13-10

You did pretty good, a couple of decent points are always a plus. Don't know about the fossil. I have a few that I picked up around Fort Stockton and was told they were sea urchin fossils that look like yours.

well done nice finds. yhe round thing may be a fossil but i do believe it was used as a game ball by our ancestors.and a really nice shooter to boot. the higher the grade of flint the shinier and greasier it looks.dont give up on a place that is still producing.

No matter how much dirt you had to move, thats a great reward for "creekin"..good job. ( have you seen our creekin pics ? )

P is basically right, better quality flint less micro grain and thus smoother. Some scholars /hobbists claimheat treating is a factor.

If that "fossil" ROLLS, Pat is right, game ball

But if it's kinda flatish, Te is absolutly right...sea urchin. Echinoid - Macraster Texanus
Theres about 50 different varieties in TX, hit the Google.
The original body of the creature was only about 1/32
thick ( what you have is the ancient mud inside )
The designs on intact finds are gorgeous, it's enough to get one hooked on Fossils

Gee Ten - I would love to know what the final determination of the ball turns out to be. I found one that looks identical to yours(about the diameter of a quarter) in Palo Pinto County surface hunting two months ago. Had two folks look at it....one said fossil...one said game ball. Did a google search and could not find a fossil that looked just like it...so I am curious what you find out!

SH
No matter how much dirt you had to move, thats a great reward for "creekin"..good job. ( have you seen our creekin pics ? )

P is basically right, better quality flint less micro grain and thus smoother. Some scholars /hobbists claimheat treating is a factor.

If that "fossil" ROLLS, Pat is right, game ball

But if it's kinda flatish, Te is absolutly right...sea urchin. Echinoid - Macraster Texanus
Theres about 50 different varieties in TX, hit the Google.
The original body of the creature was only about 1/32
thick ( what you have is the ancient mud inside )
The designs on intact finds are gorgeous, it's enough to get one hooked on Fossils

Hey Hal,

I have seen your creekin' pics. Looks like you and Michelle really cleaned up. You will have to let me know when ya'll are headed up there again, maybe I will join you. Could you send me your email address?

The ball is more round than flat, but what I question is that the surface has tiny pores and is not smooth like a ball. I have found a couple of these once before up north of Canyon Lake, TX. I was dove hunting with a friend a few years back and nothing was flying so I started looking around a tank dam and found a whole bunch of the fossil echnoids, clams, shells and a few of those round balls. I picked up around 25 of those echnoids, about 10 shells, about 10-12 clams and about 4 or 5 of those round balls. That is the only reason why I believe it may be fossil, but I am not an expert.

Gordon Robinson
Gee Ten - I would love to know what the final determination of the ball turns out to be. I found one that looks identical to yours(about the diameter of a quarter) in Palo Pinto County surface hunting two months ago. Had two folks look at it....one said fossil...one said game ball. Did a google search and could not find a fossil that looked just like it...so I am curious what you find out!

Gordon - I am going to look into it some more and see what I can find out. I will let you know what I come up with. I have some pics I can post of the other ones I found. I will try to post them soon.

Te and Pat,

I appreciate your comments. I always look forward to see what ya'll have to say, hoping I can learn something else. Maybe I can get together with you guys sometime and go digging or creekin'. I am usually just going by myself, because I can't convince my wife to go with me. She can't understand how digging all day is "fun". I really think she just enjoys having me out of house.

Pat, can you send me your email address too? I still have yours Te.

G & GR, Your stated difficulty in identifying that " round thing" is actually proof positive that you both have round lumps of limestone.

IF there was even a bit of the original Urchin still on the outside we would not be having this conversation. Of the more than 50 types of urchin fossils found in TX, they ALL have intricate designs unique to their species and they would scream
out " FOSSIL "

It ( they ) could have been stream tumbled to a near round...OR a native American may have scratched it
a bit to make a game ball