Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
different photos...beveled edges??????

different photos....this shows the beveled edges...surely nature didnt do this..just asking?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: different photos...beveled edges??????

That be a Mano.

Oh Sandy..You mistakenly typed in the wrong text to go with the pictures...
It should have read something like ,,,,
" Look at the wear pattern on these beautiful manos "

Thanks Hal, and SH. lol, as I am still learning, "beveled edge" was all I cold think to call it, haha! As we hunt now we dont even look at things as rocks now...everything gets picked up and turned over and around if it has any kind of particular shape.
We have been told to watch for rocks out here that may be upside down as the Indians would turn tools upside down and leave them for the next visit.

Sandy,
if that one in the bottom pic is dished like it appears to be. it could've had a duel purpose as a mono/ metate/mortar.a bit unusual.

very nice mano. those little pecking marks on the side is where they would break open an acorn, seed,pecan, etc.

Pat, yeah its hollowed out like a dish. the top picture is the bottom of it.

sandy,
you and hubby are'nt the only ones to pick up indian sex stones. i would like to think they actually smoked out of this one.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pat,I have book that I was looking at, and I think what you have are a classification of "gorgets".....these were worn as what we today would call necklaces..anyway they worn around the neck. "Authenticating Ancient Indian Artifacts" is the book by Jim Beennet. I am still looking for something to tell me about hubby's little white one. the ones that are made in the shape of animals and such! We have some people from the Austin area that should be in town this afternoon, they are going to go hunt with us today and tomorrow, while hubby and them were talking, he was rolling it around in his hand, and when it was held in the right place,one of them said it looked like a seal. The other person thought it looked like a snake. So, now we are looking for information about the "animal" shaped artifacts....onward and upward, hahaha! They want to go to the mountains with us and look at the ancient Indian site that we took pictures of a few years back so may do that Monday or Tuesday depending on the weather. I may repost the photos in a few days.
Hubby wanted to reshow teh site anyway, and let the guy that went up into NM on the hike where he showed the old indian remains look at it. I know that hiking is rough and I appreciated his posts of what he found there along the trails. The "goat camp" was something we happened across that i think he would be interested in seeing.

S & P - You two are not the only ones to find and collect neat artifacts with holes. Badger dug one out a while back,
didn't know for sure if it was a true Gorget, or maybe a pendant.

Photobucket

Now we see it's most likely a NECKLACE

Photobucket

sandy
watch for rocks out here that may be upside down as the Indians would turn tools upside down and leave them for the next visit.

S,thanks for the insight, On the recent metate excavation by Badger, She kept saying " I can FEEL
smooth and concave surface on the BOTTOM just like Sandy said "

Photobucket

This nice pendant might have been used by the Indian Mafia to decorate a colleague on his way to "sleep with the fishes "

Photobucket