Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
First dig any tips?

going to a friends rach where they have had sucsess but dont believe there is a whole lot left though they havent dug a ton. A little advice on tools and what and where to lokk for a good place to dig thanks in advance.

Re: First dig any tips?

there are lots of people on this site that would be more than happy to help out, but you have left out a lot of variables like what state,county,hills, creeks,rocky or sandy etc.

Fair enough wimberly from what ive seen they have found beads and many knives and bird points mainly around a certain creek onthe property state and i bexar is the county thanks again

Ok so i was wrong thats hays county texas

A small portable screen is a plus too. Don't want to miss those birds hiding in the dirt.

The terain is rocky creek a lot of white sandstone surounded by cedar. i know cedar wasnt around the so im not sure what it was back then

i guess what im confused by is where along this creek to begin to dig i have the patience to "fish all day" gut i like to know im using good bait

High points, feeders into the creek, any area where a flint source is found. Just takes some detective work. If you think like they did, where would you camp? As far as cedars, some area's haven't changed that much. Tx. hill country is pretty much unchanged, still like it was thousands of years ago.
Look for burnt rock and flint flakes.

EP
i guess what im confused by is where along this creek to begin to dig i have the patience to "fish all day" gut i like to know im using good bait

if you are invited and tagging along with the owners then their knowledge will be priceless.but like T.E. said look for burnt rock exploded in 90 degree angles like you would see on any piece of property that has just had brush piles burned or a huge grass fire sometimes hard to distingguish.definetly look for flint shavings like it has been hammered off a larger nodule. if you find large nodules your more than likely in a flint quarry which are a dime a dozen on the hills.THE most important thing you can do out there is just enjoy the piece of property and friends and mother nature. OK and maybe a few lone stars would'nt hurt either.

Hellooo

Shaking the flint off the table around here!!!

Good luck with that first dig! Once you get one ITS OVER!!!!!!!!!! Hooked for life and lovin it!

Michelle

PS: I did not remove it, he did it himself.

somebody must have been looking out for me then.i had a few choice comments.

Pat

Email me when u get a chance
Thanks!

just shot you an email. maybe i should'nt have used my 50 cal. barrett cause the feathers are still flying.
Michele are you there?

thanks guys im hardly able to contain myself i go out sunday il be sure to post any finds if im lucky enough

we love wildlife, trees in color of fall, if you have camera then let your artfull self come out.we just love the out doors and good people to share it with. good luck!!! if i know anything its the fact that a first timer and good (beginners)luck go hand in hand. i really do wish you luck.

Thanks pat it will also be my birthday so hopefully my mojo will be workin for sure il make sure to snap a bunch for your enjoyment

Tehuacana
High points, feeders into the creek, any area where a flint source is found. Just takes some detective work.

TEXASBEYONDHISTORY.NET has good info for new detectives.
There's a major "flint show" in Fredricksburg Jan 29, offers books, display frames and lots of flint that others have found and give you some goals to dig for

So the dig was a sucsess il post some pics wed i have a good one for you guys to ponder

good news, will be watching.congrats on a successfull first dig.
forever obbsessed:
pat

ok pic testIMG_2544.JPG (PIPKIN-PC/Users/pipkin/Desktop/IMG_2544.JPG)

well here is a slide show of my first dig minus the shaft straightener wich i found surfacing at a friends ranch a while back. I only found the one birdy but its the broken scraper? tool? drill? thats got me excited if ound the two peices a few feet from eachother one piece seems to be burnt. the paint bowl that looks like a bear paw on it was found in the spring fed creek by the site along with the worked tool that resembles an animal maybe my imagination enjoy and what do you think. also the two little scraper looked like they were once knives or points but are what a good friend call indian razor blades

if the pic show doesnt load click view all