Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fall Creek 12/31/10

A couple of friends and I dug at Fall Creek last Friday. We found a couple of pieces of pottery, a Darl and a broken Pediz bird point. Leonard found a kinfe but I didn't get a photo of it. Marc's girlfriend found a baby blotched water snake near the creek. We were suprised to see a snake out this late in the year.

The snake was a little slugish....

Re: Fall Creek 12/31/10

Those are good looking items anyone trying to keep track of the pottery shards found ? never know,
some pieces might fit and get enough design to positively make an ID.

Good sharp pic of the wildlife, that critters not as cold as he's going to be next week

Thanks Hal! Richard has a collection of pottery pieces that were found there. We don't have enough to put together a pot yet. The pieces we have been finding lately have different lines on them than the ones that were previously found. Here are some of the pieces that have been found so far.

AhhHa, so pottery is actually not that rare in that area which makes sense right on the western fringe of the massive Mississippian culture.
Is that your collection or Richards ?

Impossible to keep track of all finds with so many individual diggers....BUT...what about a POTTERYFEST as soon as the Wx turns nice.?
ALL diggers to bring their shards and see if any fit, if I could ask for a guest invite, I could bring some specially made expoxy repros

I've never found potter except at Richards. It's kinda weird but he's got it. We're far from east texas

Right Trav, I'm looking at the current issue of NatGeo that has a big article on the Mississippian culture.
The sphere of influence stops 3 miles west of Tyler TX.

Maybe the pottery in your area was Trade goods....in exchange for tons of sandstone Manos

Those are from Richard's collection. I am going to get the current issue of NatGeo as that sounds very interesting. It must have been a big effort for people to carry pottery over such long distances for trade. Maybe Fall Creek had some pretty women that wanted to get married that made it worth the journey to get there.

Chris Acree
It must have been a big effort for people to carry pottery over such long distances for trade.

.....OR....maybe somebodys brother in law was hiking far East and saw the people there with nice tea sets. Brought the notion home and those fall Creekers started mixing their own mud for proper dinnerwares

Ive got a piece of pottery that was from colorado and you can see the finger print of its maker to me thats badass i wish i had found the site it was an estate sale

Tehuacana found an unusally out of place piece of pottery at his dig in SW TX this past wkend

Photobucket

Pretty sure it's of Aztec origins ( as it's signed " MADE IN MEXICO BY PEDRO " )

Photobucket

That was a find of a lifetime there Hal. It goes to prove how much trade went on with the Indians. I never realized that they had full use of imported goods. This vase was traded from some tribes overseas.. At least that's what the stamp said, "Made in China".

wow great find you never kno whats gonna pop out. I was looking back at the beads and neckalace they found a ways back. Pedro signing it just makes it better!

S W Texas looks a lot like nachos , barksdale dig site,the house in the back ground gives It away, I sure had some Great Finds from that site .I can tell you it sure spoiled me. And I'm crossin my fingers & hopeing that some day mr nacho stubs his toes on another site like the barksdale dig. I will try to be first in line , if Hal don't beat me there first.

The ones to look out for are the ones that say made in Japan or Hong Kong. They are older than the ones made in China.