Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
stone axe

Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: stone axe

Is it real? The guy wants $100 think its worth it

Looks good, but for that kind of money, i'd make the deal pending a COA from Dwain.
Good luck

But thats not a "Texas" item right?? Thought that celts are not really texas things...??? I could be wrong!

Where did it come from???? State that is

We had things like that in Ohio

The guy found it on the surface but cant remeber where he said it could be Airizona?

That is what appears to be a beautifully symmetrical 3/4 grooved axe made of speckled green hardstone from Ohio or Illinois. If its authentic, its museum quality and a show piece. It would ludicrous to believe that the owner couldn't remember where he found it unless perhaps he is mentally challenged.

I have one in my collection that was found in Tom Green County Texas.

If Lar Hothem were alive he would price an authentic piece of that quality at $1500 +. They don't call that material green hardstone for nothing, its hard. Even with power equipment I don't understand how someone could make that piece and sell it for $100.

The item looks Good, and I have seen many like it from the Mid-West States. I would agree with the comment already made that no one would make it to sell it for only $100. I don't see how you could go wrong here, so its more a question if you want artifacts from out of State.

Its a museum piece and certainly Han**** County Ohio material. Its a great relic. You may find a celt in Texas once every 20 years and its usually small and brown. Its worth $ 100. Nice !

My bet would be on Not authentic. Story is not right, and neither is the bit area or the hafting area. Just my opinion.

Tom Green County

This was found in Tom Green County on the North Concho River

Roy,

That has to be an exceptionally rare find in that part of Texas.

Thanks for the picture.

jh

I have a broke one I found at crishners it's fully grooved and polished smooth only on one side. And made of this white really hard stone

Dam dirk i gotta see that i didnt know we had those in texas sorry we missed ya yesterday you made a good choice staying home

Hardstone Axes & effigies sure are pretty ( and are an amazement of the work needed to make them )

Photobucket

There were a lot of different stone displays at the show, I was surprised that probably as many as 25% of the specimens had a dead flat on one side ( not grooved all the way around ) sample hafted ones had the flat laced tight against specially carved handles

SH

There were a lot of different stone displays at the show, I was surprised that probably as many as 25% of the specimens had a dead flat on one side ( not grooved all the way around ) sample hafted ones had the flat laced tight against specially carved handles

The Temple TX show had a LOT of hardstone Axes & discoidals..This giant I recorded was to expand on the above observation.

Photobucket

One side is completely flat.

Photobucket

Fairly large ones are not rare. There must be a million man hours labor in there

Lookin at the size of the last one I now believe in giants from the past. There is no way that a regular sized man could swing that thing more than a few times.