Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New purchase

Bought the bone bead in the middle this morning. Rare for me but I was there when it was found and have always liked it
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: New purchase

G-Town,
that bead is sweet, CONGRATS!! Approx where was it found?

gman

Bout 5 feet from your Marshall closer to the cliff Line in georgetown. Tons of drills but this was the only drilled thing found at that mound. Shane found it a few years back in the good ol days

Your bead is made from a LIghtening Whelk ( a species of conch ) found in the bay systems of Texas. Whelks were also used to make gorgets. These beads are not common and are mostly found along the coast in association with the Karankawa Culture. Everything in the frame is very nice but the bead is a jewel.

Thanks redman I appreciate the info and kind words. We talked about this before and I was floored to think it came from the coast

say ALL you want about the bead. but that point under the bead looks classic to me. is that a clovis base.

Those are some fine gems there. The bead is the best.

Ok G-Town, time to break out some more of the killers, PLEASE give us all a show. Big Blade!

gman

It looks like Conch Shell with that grove in it.
I could be wrong.
Bill

Good aquisition, what better COA than to see it found ...Somebody of old had an appreciation of the finer things in life. If a coastal trade item was hard to come by, some enterprising people should have created "knock offs " out of select bone sections. Then we could all have a bead

All conch shells have an internal spiral, that groove is the remains of the spiral.

great looking bead and a sweet frame