Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Recent finds

Here are some points that have surfaced in the past few months. I found them on three different sites in Austin, Colorado and Fayette Counties. The big blade is 6.5 inches long with just a bit or cortex remaining on the base. If it is fact an Angostura, then its the largest I've found in sixty years of hunting. All of the characteristics of the blade to the lower left of the big blade say Agate Basin. The Corner Tang has seen lots of use but a nice piece never the less. The dark Darl is wafer thin and except for an ancient an ding is a perfect piece. The wide triangular blade to the left is interesting because it displays Paleo flaking but also displays much later flaking when it was found by someone in a later culture and re-knapped.

artifacts

Re: Recent finds

Nice finds. Can I assume they were not surface finds? Those counties do produce some nice finds at times. I collect from Colorado and Fayette as well. Never found a blade like that but sure would like to. I have never found an Angostura or Agate Basin but have found a Montell along the same lines of the one in your frame. I have seen Corner Tangs from the area but haven't stumbled onto one myself. Someday! Congrats. Do you live in that area?

Nice points! I have a drill just like that.

Nice redman. That's some killer blades, hard to find em so big and perfect

Beautiful finds Congrats Redman ! Thanks for the eye candy !

gorgeous points. i like seeing the side that was used on the ctang.

G-towndigger
Nice redman. That's some killer blades, hard to find em so big and perfect

Ditto ( plus gorgeous )
Also shows not all the award winners are out in SW TX

There is a high ridge running east and west out of LaGrange, Texas. It was formed by the Colorado River during the middle Miocene about 14 million years ago. It is 200' higher than the rivers flood plain so there are camps and middens all along its summit wherever there are springs. That big blade and the dark Darl came from one of those sites. The occupation sequence ran from Paleo to Transitional Archaic with the site being abandoned at the end of the Darl Culture. That abandonment coincides with a prolonged drought that forced those folks to move to the river several miles away. The Agate Basin and the Corner-Tang were surface finds in Colorado County along Cummins Creek. Most of the other pieces came from a dig here on our farm in Austin County.

Really nice stuff.

Thank you all for your response.

Since the just found Corner Lump tang is fresh in the news...Out of curiosity, would your fine "Tang blade " be officially classified as a CORNER tang or SIDE tang ?

Hester refers to them all as being corner-tang bifaces with several body and tang variations. How about calling it a top-tang variation of a corner-tang biface. Overstreet has what he calls a mid-back tang which I suppose is just another variation. I have seen pieces that were borderline between base-tang and corner-tang.....but whats in a name.

I referred to "Corner Tang Knives Across Texas," by Dwain Rogers and it looks like what's listed as a heel edge corner tang. Anyone with the book compare it to the point on the bottom left corner of page 122. Regardless of what it's called, it's a good'n! Nice finds!

A Heel Edge Corner Tang it is then.

any way you slice it and dewayne has disected it.its a corner tang. and THAT is a mighty FINE frame of treasures. it looks like it also has some really early points in it.