Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
C-tang pics

Finally made it into "the cornertang club," today. I've found a broke base and a busted up mid back uniface but never anything like this. Decided to leave after finding it, I was so excited I couldn't concentrate. It's by far the best point I've found, and the best to come from our site. It measures 5 3/8 by 2" even at the widest point of the base. Appears to be a large base corner tang with awesome Ensor flaking. So here it is.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Thanks for looking!

Re: C-tang pics

man oh man! those are some awesome insitu pics. congrats. what an awesome piece!

Awesome find. Congrats.

Way to go man,you deserved it! Hella nice one and nice pics too. Congrats!

That's just sick

I appreciate the comments guys, it's nice to get back digging again! Im gonna try to make it to fredricksburg tomorrow, and the blade is coming with me if I do, so maybe I'll get to show it off a little.

Ridiculous!!! Good for you now it's my turn

Way to go!!!!!! I can't wait for the day I can dig out one of those big bad boys!

That's one fine C-Tang. There's those of us that have been hunting points for decades and never found one. Your's put you in that elite C-Tang club.

wow!!!!!!! that is one saweet piece. if i had more thumbs i would give them to ya.... CONGRATS ON YOUR FIND.....

Nice!!!

A remarkable sequence, well done !

Beauty, and excellent pics.
Was that the find of the day ?

That may be the best insitu pic ever!!!

Haha find of my LIFETIME, Still can't believe I actually found one; and one of this quality at that.

way to go man that is an awesome find. you said you left after finding it cause you couldnt concentrate. i dont believe you, i bet you left to clean the dookie out of your shorts

Tucker
Im gonna try to make it to fredricksburg tomorrow, and the blade is coming with me if I do, so maybe I'll get to show it off a little.

Did you make it ? if so any interesting comments ( other than WOW )?

Good on you. A day like that is what makes up for years of nothing and staying with it. Happy for you.

Nope unfortunately I didn't make it, but that means I'll HAVE to go to the temple show. Instead I got roped into seeing "true grit" with the family. I really, really wanted to know what Rogers had to say... Guess I'll have to wait.

TRUE GRIT was a great flick but I bet you thought about the bad ass C Tang more than once while you were at the cinema

Yeah I couldn't stop lol. Really wanted to be at the show... But have you ever tried convincing two middle school girls they want to spend the afternoon looking at "rocks," instead of going to the movies? IT DOESN'T WORK. btw true grit was AWESOME!

Man, now that's a corner tang! Congratulations Mister.

Welcome to the club. Awesome point, great pictures.

In 1891 the only Corner-Tang in the Smithsonian's Nation Museum collection was catalogued under the category: Peculiar Form of Texas Knife. In 1910 an archeologist named Moorehead suggested that it was used for scaling and opening fish. In 1932 another archeologist called it a ceremonial knife. In 1935 a researcher named Meroney called it a ceremonial tomahawk. In 1942 Renaud called it a specialized or notched knife. Finally in 1985 Turner and Hester called it a Corner-Tang Biface.

Redman, awesome story!!! As far as i can tell from your posts, you seem to be well versed as far as points go... So my question is, where did you learn all this stuff?

That is really interesting info Red, good to dig out the history of individual artifacts...
Since you brought it up ...the battle still rages over the exact use of Ctangs ( ceremonial, skinning,
prestige !? ) Dwain Rogers has an exact replica of the only HAFTED CTang ever found..very surprising ( to me )..the blade was secured on a "handle" that was at least 15 inches long and mounted just like what we know as a Tomahawk

The first definitive book on corner-tangs was written in 1936 by a UT professor named J.T. Patterson. Dwaine Rogers' book, published in 1999 brought us up to date and featured hundreds of never before photographed corner-tangs. The only known hafted corner-tang was recovered after an Indian attack in Colorado about 1850. It appears that this Late Archaic artifact had been picked up by an Indian and fashioned into a "tomahawk" in Historical Times. Google: Hafted Corner -Tang to see a photo of that piece.

Tucker, for starters I'm old. My Dad was a Geologist by profession but Archeology and Anthropology were his other interests. As a kid I spent a lot of time around dig sites from Canada to Argentina. My primary interest today other than artifacts is Paleo Mammalogy ............mammoths, mastodons, sabertooths etc.

redman
Tucker, for starters I'm old. My Dad was a Geologist by profession but Archeology and Anthropology were his other interests. As a kid I spent a lot of time around dig sites from Canada to Argentina. My primary interest today other than artifacts is Paleo Mammalogy ............mammoths, mastodons, sabertooths etc.

so, since your into palentology, i guess its safe to say you have an incredible collection of clovis and possible folsum points. if so and hav'nt posted them in the past could you share some with us? along with a few bones/teeth.

pat kinyon
redman

so, since your into palentology, i guess its safe to say you have an incredible collection of clovis and possible folsum points. if so and hav'nt posted them in the past could you share some with us? along with a few bones/teeth.

I second that! Thanks!

That is a good idea. I've never found a Folsom Point but I will put together some photos of some Paleo things I have found. I'll also put in some photos of ancient teeth, bones and such.

redman
The only known hafted corner-tang was recovered after an Indian attack in Colorado about 1850. It appears that this Late Archaic artifact had been picked up by an Indian and fashioned into a "tomahawk" in Historical Times.

Well thats a major revelation...the mindset of the hafter would have been to haft ANYTHING that would
kill long knives...NOT what it was originally used for in antiquity.
A bit of mystery just enhances the rare quality of a rare artifact

This whole mess would not have been dragged up again if only Tuck had not found a CTang... tee Hee