Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
my recent surface finds minus the drill

Photobucket

click on the pic it gets bigger

Photobucket

Re: my recent surface finds minus the drill

What's that big brown ball? Looks metallic.

Im not sure its wierd though. Its got two nipple like dots and two inverted wholes on the top and bottom. Im not sure metalic maybe hemitite. Il figure out a few more pics soon.Also there seems to be a line half way across the equater of the stone.

There are two indentions on the north and south pole of the rock if its a geo its a cool one

All good finds Snoop.
Old timers seeing your last post are just waiting ( and dreading the monotony ) for me to comment on the "ball"

Google MARKASITE. A natural formed ball of Hemetite.
were you to ruin it and split it in half, there is a gorgeous "starburts" structure inside.

Many are found in middens with varying degrees of "work"
as the finders didnt know what to make of it. I have one with a groove pecked all the way around the equator.

The 2 holes on yours very likely man made ( pecked)

Keep a sharp eye out for other natural pieces anywhere on the CCC ranch...experiment...smash a few
open and also peck one, the small chips are a pretty crystaline.

For old timers...That concludes this months' Markasite review

Thanks hal im happy with it sits on a metate that had no mano. Sounds like theese are pretty common i hope to find a few more and smash a few for my garden. Your imput is always appriciated snoop

Hey Snoop,

I think the little ball is large shot ( could have been fired by a musket) I have one that was found on a field by Brushy creek in Cedar Park. Mine contains iron ( magnet pulls it around ) I think the big one Hal coverd extensively. Nice Finds

Brad..my balls are fossilezed as well ..lol

Kris that sounds interesting il try the magnet

Snoop, Here's a look at the musket ball I got that a magnet pulls. Also found this cool little button lookin thing in a spring. Anybody got any ideas ? The back is grooved all the way around all most like a plug.
Photobucket
Photobucket
It is not magnetic... Looks like clay or stone ? not sure.

Hey kris no dice on the magnet but there are two lines etched on either side. I

Dont bust it open. Its NOT Markasite.
I have a couple of these.
Its Cannon shot, more commonly known as cannister shot. The ring around the equator is left over from the two halves of the casting pliers. The nipples are from the hole where the metal was poured, casted.
Depending on the size you can sometimes find out more on its history, as in who made it what war etc..
They were stuffed into a cannon like a huge shotgun, fired and scattered all over the place, though they are a cool find and collectible. They are not always magnetic. Google it and you wont want to take a hammer to it.
Good Luck.

Picture from the Tucson Gem & mineral show..
Two boxes, one with round shapes, the other with some button shapes.
The nice saleslady described them as Hemetite consentrations found washed out at the base of cliffs in Utah

Photobucket

I propose that we adopt the terminology our learned coleagues to the west have adopted....
.........MOQUI MARBLES or SHAMAN STONES . . . gives real dignity to these objects we find in Texas fire rock camps