Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
TRAVEL PICS ONLY, MINIMUM FLINT

I had enough of the cold in Central TX so I headed to the SW desert ...
First "desert" landmark, crossing Lake Amistad..winds blowing like 60, thats Govners point, my fav camping
site ( when the temps are over 80* )

Photobucket

Last years report you saw the overall pic of the Pecos river, here's a pic right over the west bank
trying to show how steep the drop off is...a real impediment to E-W ancient travelers.

Photobucket

Here's a great shot of our locomotive crossing that dry wash bridge just East of Sanderson, doesn't show but it's blowing snow

Photobucket

Nice pic of Sanderson, snow starting to stick !

Photobucket

SNOW on traditional desert plants really looks "christmassy beautiful " ( remember, I'm traveling the desert to get away from the cold & snow "up north " )

Photobucket

Thats a desert snow plow on the city road.

Photobucket

Where am I ?????? Last August this exact location was 105* WARMER ( train conductor said it was 10* outside )

Photobucket

Read my lips

Photobucket

Arrive in the Desert Town of Tucson Arizona

Re: TRAVEL PICS ONLY, MINIMUM FLINT

The Tucsonites where DEVASTATED !! Night temps to 17*
Decorative Cactus plants didn't fare well, The pads just broke right off with the freeze

Photobucket

I went out to see the "Gem, Mineral, fossil and art show "...cold didn't have much effect on the minerals

Photobucket

cant take too much of that "desert" heat Headed back to Centx, wild cactus did not handle the cold too well either, lots of dropped pads on some and most turned purple

Photobucket

Another great pic of the Loco heading through a pass

Photobucket

Here's a great self portrait pic. Low aftnoon sun cast a shaddow of bridge & train against East wall
( I'm 8th seat back in the end car )

Photobucket

Sundown on Amistad, 2 fish boats out in 75* WX
Photobucket

Last great pic of the locomotive pulling into the station in Austin TX..

Photobucket

I did buy something of interest ... a repro made in China arrowhead

Photobucket

heyt hat's pretty cool hal. i liked those pics of the desert too. looks like a pretty neat little trip.

hal that was a really cool post. I had my first train ride last year from ft worth to austin and it was a really cool trip. wish i had more time to do that more often. you really see alot more than traveling the interstate

DIGG DUGG
I had my first train ride last year from ft worth to austin and it was a really cool trip. wish i had more time to do that more often. you really see alot more than traveling the interstate

Train travel today is like a sea cruise, the trip itself is the attraction, NOT the destination... for
those in a hurry, drive your car
I enjoy every bit of the ride, if we're not seeing the grand canyon or the Bluffs of Big Sur.....It's absolutly AMAZING what people have in the backyards that line the tracks

Lunk....I WAS VERY LUCKY ... I shut the water off at the street and did a poor job of draining water from
pipes. The closer I got to returning to the house, the more I was sure such a strong freeze would have
damaged SOMETHING...
No damage but I'm not going through the scare again...installing a low level drain valve in case the
need arrises again