Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
B 4 Phonograph, LP’s, 45's , CD’s and MP3's

They Played These ! I’m looking for more disks from the same group, but I have found none. The groups name is SUN they used em in big parties and they aint from around here. There was only one example in the book I have, It said they played in the 60's 1060 - 660 in Mississippi. This Disk was found in the 60's in central TX in a cave. A long way from home. Does anyone have any other examples of Sun Disks ? Please add to this post. Any knowledge of the same piece that would be helpful is always appreciated.
A old old disk player would be nice.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Re: B 4 Phonograph, LP’s, 45's , CD’s and MP3's

I would call that a scraper or a trade blank before sun disc due to the fact that the culture that made them lived a long ways away. And also that they are considered to be highly rare ceremonial items, items that wouldn't be traded due to their ritual significance. Google carved shell gorgets, there are some depicting ceremonial use of related items.

Tucker
I would call that a scraper or a trade blank before sun disc due to the fact that the culture that made them lived a long ways away. And also that they are considered to be highly rare ceremonial items, items that wouldn't be traded due to their ritual significance.

Thats the straight story.

The LAST Ovrst book has a picture of them under scrapers ( but not the 11th Ed.)
I was very pleased to dig one out myself in Williamson Co. I cant easily post the pics here..to see pls refer back to frt pg bottom icons. open
MARCH 2008. Rt cursur 60% down, on blue towel then further down about 65% is insitu and sky shots

Hal, You did find the other one, So you think it's a big round scraper huh? Darn... Thought I had finally found the dimond in the rough... Looks like one dog gone fine beer coaster though. Also looks like y'all had a good celebration after framing them birdes Wish I'd been there for those 08 digs !
I thought it was real cuz it was supposedly found in a cave wall hole back when 620 was being constructed over the Coloarado Rvr. Makes a great story, but I think the stories told after the birdie framing party were better. Thanks for telling me about the 08 photo.
Thanks Tuck, I appreciate the feed back. keep on looking Y'all

While looking through old photoB pics I found the only other "sun disk" that I personally know of..

Found at the Church site in '10

Photobucket

Sorry I cant remember the finders name, here he is washing the disc off in rainwater from the church roof ( holy water )

Photobucket

This is the round scraper? found years back surface hunting in eastern Frio county. I picture it as a scraper but have heard it called "sun disc" and numerous other things. All the points are local.

Maybe round scrapers are not so rare, they just dont get the publicity as Ctngs and big blades.

Interesting though,if you hold a good one in your hand, a sharp edge is always on the hand and the working face
contact is pretty small compared to a common flat faced hide / wood scraper.

I'd think so. I never thought of them being anything more then round scrapers, never pictured them as some ceremonial object. Most of those I've seen, the flaking isn't what you'd expect to find on a prized ceremonial piece.

Tehuacana
I'd think so. I never thought of them being anything more then round scrapers, never pictured them as some ceremonial object. Most of those I've seen, the flaking isn't what you'd expect to find on a prized ceremonial piece.

Yup, in Tx, just variations on scrapers. If one is ever found with the quality of a Montell, they may have to add a new page to the reference books.

That one of mine has some decent flaking on it but nowhere near what you'd find on a good point. Some secondary flaking on the edges but to me it was made as a tool. As a wild thought, I figured as it was being used and dulled, they just rotated the flake and added a new edge. Did it till the scraper took the final round shape. Not ergo-nomically correct but I'm sure it served it's purpose. Some edges are much better worked then others.