Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Paleo points, bones & other objects of possible interest

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Re: Paleo points, bones & other objects of possible interest

Need more time to peruse all the little nooks & crannies of that great living room...First impression..

. . . . . . . . . . . . WOW

Wow, that's an amazing collection!

Best decked out cabin I've seen in a Long Time!

Thanks for the tour Redman. Quite impressive!

The variety of "old" flint is terrific, but so is everything !
Great comparison of Mammoth & Mastadon teeth differences. The "brown" object must be special to rate a picture all by itself... slightly heat charred from an ancient campfire...?
What is it ?

Its part of a mammoth tusk, ancient ivory comes in a variety of interesting colors.

SH
Need more time to peruse all the little nooks & crannies of that great living room...First impression..

. . . . . . . . . . . . WOW

im with H. on this one but i will say this, i've never seen a white pheasant before. HOLY

I thank the whale effigy is my favorite thanks redman

That white pheasant was shot and mounted in England sometime around the turn of the century. The white birds were valued by gamekeepers as marker birds on the big estates to follow the movement of flocks of pheasants. It has always been considered bad form to shoot a white bird and such an act was generally met with a heavy fine and ostracism.

There's so much that might deserve to be singled out for special attendion ...just one more querry from me...
Could that REALLY be a complete real Smiledon skull ?( or just the very expensive / high quality La Brea reproduction ?)

That sabertooth skull is a very early museum casting from La Brea.

One of my favorite pieces that doesn't show up in the photos is what today would be a Boone & Crockett desert bighorn sheep skull. My Dad found it in association with scallorn points in a dry rock shelter in the Davis Mountains.

complete man cave, even has a french nuddie.
looks like our friend H. is on another mission trip.

Look's at least 1/2 dozen Clovis'! Is this fellow a collector or a knapper? I hope that he'll have an auction one day when he retires.

More interesting details big animal remains found with Scallorn family implements...couldn't have shot him, must have dropped dead from a heart attack.
Tks for the continuing details.

P,,Your right ... if you could read the stock market like my posts, you'd be rich instead of just a great
flint hunter

its all in the timin H.now quit dilly dallyin and show me some o that purde flint YOU found. i need a fix.

I have been retired for fifteen years. I do some napping everyday after lunch. A Scallorn was just a true arrowhead attached to an arrow shaft and propelled with a bow. They were used to hunt deer, bison and other big game including bighorn sheep. I have no idea where the myth originated that they were used to hunt birds.

pat kinyon
show me some o that purde flint YOU found. i need a fix.

P, just posted all the flint a junkie could ever dream of..see " 4 FLO-TOWN "

Red, agreed .. but some of the Scallorns and other "bird" points just seem to have such a delicate comnnection between base and main body to be able to properly penetrate tough hides.
Certainly not implying your facts are wrong, they might have run some big animals over a cliff THEN disected it

This very interesting post shows part of Redman's extensive collection, posted in February 2011

As we see from the front page....Red has passed away. The picture of him with a digging find is a happy memory..
For those interested to refresh their memories...in the above "search" block, insert BY USER then REDMAN....There's years of neat and informative post replies by Red... Earliest I see listed on page 4 of the posts is February 2008

Whenever I saw that Redman replied to a post, I would look forward to it..

I never met Him but I'll miss him

Adios redman, thanks for all the great posts and information.

He was one of the best on identifying bones and fossils. Sure helped me out a couple of times. He'll sure be missed.

Yes, a ton of knowledge and information in all his post. I as well was always looking forward to his post and comments, he will be missed.

Condolences to his Family

I too enjoyed reading his posts very much. He always had such a wealth of information and was very knowledgable. I had hoped to meet him one day, but never had the opportunity. Sorry to hear this news. Condolences to his family and friends.

You know we all read so many posts, and those of us that love the hobby, look so foreward to seeing someones new finds posted, and then to see the guys jump in and say, no that is such and such kind of point or blade. it keeps this site interesting.
Each year for the last five years we attend the Digfest. it is actually the only time we have a place to dig! While there I try to find out, ( WHO IS WHO )
I think it would be really cool if everyone that posts here, would be willing to make a post with a pic of who they are ! put a face with the knowledge !
call it
( WHO IS WHO )
I am so forry for Redmans passing and heart felt best wishes for his family and friends!

One of the most AWESOME Man Caves ever seen!!!!!!!!!
Any chance it's available to view by us in person?

Having a passion and loving it goes a long way in becoming an expert.

He obviously loved collecting and his expertise was appreciated by all!

I always looked forward to reading his post.