Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Petrified Wood Points

I'd posted this one in a frame with others before but here it is seperate. I found it in eastern LaSalle co. back in the early '80's. Not much flint in that area but tons of petrified wood, so they probably used what was at hand. The tip was knicked when I found it.

Re: Petrified Wood Points

In all my diggins I never even found a broke made from p-wood nice find

i have 2... ones paper thin and red~....cool find!... always like something different

chris

Found this base out there on the Quintana Ranch last month. The regular wood isn't as high quality as the palm. I've found a couple of other points out there made of petrified wood but they're much smaller and of the Matamoros type.

Here's mine. Willco Tx.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Flo-town digger
In all my diggins I never even found a broke made from p-wood nice find

What an amazing admission ...I was really SURE that I was the only one in all of Texas that has not found even a broke piece of a P wood point

That beautiful Palmwood is the holy grail of material but GTwn's find really screams out " Hey look at me , I'm made out of WOOD "

I'll just have to keep digging for my P wood Corner tang Paleo Point

very cool Ken. Thanks for posting these. Our in Baird, Tx (just 20 miles west of Abilene on I-20) my grandparents have a place where they found massive pertrified tree trunks. All that grows around there are small scub oaks. So at some time that area was a thriving, fertile place for huge trees. If you ever go through the Denver Colorado airport take a look in the glass shelves as you are going through the place. They dug up palm tree fossils when they built the airport. So, at some point in history, Demver Colorado was tropical.

heres my petrified wood point and the reverse side

Thanks Travis. Been through Denver a bunch of times driving, just never flew. I saw several out of wood at the museum/gift shop in Petrified Forest. Lots of them are agatized wood.
There's probably more petrified wood points out there in collections, people may not realize what they are though. If there's a shortage of good flint, I guess any rock that can be knapped will do.

I have lots of petrified points that came from east texas, but i don't know of too many coming from central/west Texas?
That palm wood makes some beautiful points, I bet petrified material had to be hard to work with??

I picked up some palm flakes left over from their point making out on the creek and it looked just like flint. Real hard and no flaws. The pieces of wood that I found weren't nearly as of high quality. Might have been, like flint, there were certain attributes that they looked for in the wood.
Palm had it, the other woods were less desirable.

Look at the wood the people in the west had to work with..
Here is a dealer whose specialty was slabed and highly polished Arizona & Utah P wood

Photobucket

I should have put a hundred $ bill on the table for scale...it's big ( and beautiful )

Photobucket

Another no scale, that piece on the wall about 36 inches across.

Photobucket

Imagine finding a chunk of this material in your favorite creek bed