Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Wiggle pick pic?

Ok so I have done some talking to a few of you at ccc and saw your wiggle picks. I've got material to make one ( leaf springs and so on) I just need to see some pics again or if anyone can give me good directions on how long to make the pic and if it needs any curve to it so I can have mine made by this weekend. Again appreciate the help guys.

Re: Wiggle pick pic?

Hal's the man. He makes his own plus all his other tools but there's commerical ones listed on Michelle's links. I think most guys that use them have all added their special touches to suit their needs.

Look at the photographs of digfest 2007. You will find pictures of a James kemp pick which was given away as a prize. Kemp puts a lot of work in his picks and does a quality job. A few things to remember when making your pick. When cutting the spring steel, its best to use a plasma arc torch instead of an acetylene torch. This is important in order to keep the existing temper of the spring steel. Otherwise it could become brittle or weak. Another method to cut this steel is with an electric band saw. The blade dulls pretty quickly though. Second most important thing is to use welding rods made especially for spring steel. These can be obtained at most welding supply stores. I have used low hydrogen rods such as LH 7018 with some success, but rather spend a little more and get the special rod. Hope this helps

When you see Gilbert's tool creations, you will have seen the top of the line in earth moving tools. I can only add a few meager comments.

Part of a custom made picks' desireability is length of blade. Kent's standard is 19 inches...Badgers cutom made is 8 inches.. it's what the digger prefers

Now is the time to mention a fact that really has not been covered in the many posts we have had in the past..
The original "traditional" spring steel is welded horizontal to the handle...second generation has the
iron parallel with the handle.

YEARS of pics and details, just type in "WIGGLE" in the top search block ( dont forget to click "VIEW ENTIRE THREAD " on a given subject.) There are 3 pages of posts.

We're all interested to see what you come up with

Here's Buda Mike's personal mega mover...

Photobucket

Badgers' shortie ( weld horizontal )

Photobucket

brent,
i have a classic wiggler with the blade paralell to the handle it works great. a buddy of mine made one with the stinger welded flat on top ( the blade perpindicular to the handle) and that thing works the best by far- especially when sitting down you are able to move alot more dirt.

DrRock
brent,
i have a classic wiggler with the blade paralell to the handle it works great. a buddy of mine made one with the stinger welded flat on top ( the blade perpindicular to the handle) and that thing works the best by far- especially when sitting down you are able to move alot more dirt.

Glad you said all that Doc, nobody listens to me

For all the years before the foot pick was invented...this was / is my wiggle pick design of choice..
Photobucket

Photobucket

Its a cut and trimed Home Depot pry bar welded on a cutoff garden hoe/rake on a fiberglass detachable
handle

Photobucket

I carry one of each always! One horizontal and one vertical ole "wild bill" showed me that having the two made sense. If you are making your own why not?

Excellent inventory of equipment N, we'll be refering to your pics in the future when the next party asks
"what tools do I need " Good show

As you note it's up to "personal preferences"....cant say as I would prefer your choice of digging shoes...
Looks fake...Not a spot of dirt

my new earth mover cant wait to get this bad boy dirty tomorrow,and a foot for scale

diggler
my new earth mover cant wait to get this bad boy dirty tomorrow,

Sure enough, we found diggler with his new pic today...( dirty )

Photobucket

Dirty pick and a dirty shirt

This is Melvin's monster wigglepick. Thing weighs a ton.

Brought forward 8/23/11 for new tool querry