Return to Website

AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Boards

THE MESSAGE BOARD POINT CHATTER IS NOW CLOSED TO ALL NEW POSTS.

WE HAVE MOVED TO THE NEW MESSAGE BOARD AND ALL NEW PICTURES AND POSTS WILL BE THERE FROM 4-16-2014 FORWARD.

THIS BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO BE HERE ONLY FOR INFORMATION AND TO READ / SEE ALL OLD POSTS.

GO TO AUSTINDIGGER.COM  - LOCATE THE LINK FOR POINT CHATTER II
AND LOG IN AND CHAT WITH US AND SHARE YOUR FINDS.
ALL NEW WEBSITE - ALL NEW MESSAGE BOARDS.

WE NOW HAVE PICTURE HOSTING !! LOG IN AND NOW YOU CAN EVEN POST YOUR PICTURES FROM YOUR PHONES - WELCOME TO 2014 HUH 8)

SEE YOU THERE - MICHELLE

Point Chatter - AustinDiggers.com - Arrowhead Message Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Newbie here...with ?? about points

Hey everyone, been checking out the site for awhile now and decided to post up. I am 27 and have loved collecting points since I was can remember and have finally begun to go on pay digs that I have the time to do so. My fiance and I went to TJ's 2 wks ago and had a blast, found lots of stuff and we are headed back in two wks.

Anyways- to the ??.... About 12-13yrs ago I went with my stepdad to an estate auction outside of Tyler, Tx and several of the items up for bid were various Indian points. There were a couple of men there froom a museum buying up all the Indian artifacts and outbidding everyone to do so. Finally the opportunity arose for me to get a couple when they went to grab something to eat at the concession. The bidding had just resumed before they made it back and I was able to get three very nice pieces for around 200 dollars total. The men looked disgusted when they saw this, but I was as happy as could be. They were paying 3-4 hundred per piece. I would like yalls input as far as the type- I love collecting but I am definately not up to speed on the various names like many of you are. I believe- from left to right- Graham Cave, Dalton and Hardin?? I have had many tell me the Graham cannot be real b/c it is too perfect- well based on the story I just told you and the fact that it still has dirt caked to it tells me otherwise.. I have thought about sending it to Mr. Rogers but dont really trust the postal service with it. Thank you for all the input and the great site!

Re: Newbie here...with ?? about points

Dwain is at most of the shows so you can take them there in person.
How was your TJ trip and is he still digging at Vanderpool? Hadn't been out there this year but we're real regulars to his digs.

Thanks for the tip. He is still digging in Vanderpool. The trip 2 wks ago was our first screen dig, and really our first quest to find points other than surface looking. We had a blast and have been bitten by the bug. That is why we are headed back in two wks for my bday.

Those are way out of my knowlage range but wonderful. Thanks for posting. This Tj digg where is it? Is it public? If so please send me the info if you get a chance. oakhillfats@live.com . D.R. is the way to go. Though he wouldnt take a point of mine at the show but i doubt it was worth what you have there.

Wow! That Dalton is killer!

if those were points i acquired thru an estate auction knowing dealers were present and buying up all the artifacts,i would consider them good, especially if when the dealers got back and was upset that they missed out.your id's look correct to me and that graham cave is a screamer. over insure it and send it to dewaine Rogers....it looks good to me. well worth the cost of the paper real or not,just for the peace of mind.

Thanks for the replies, so I guess it was a good investment for 200? Doesn't matter really, never gonna sell em... I will send you an email snoop.

Those points are indeed extremely the best classic examples of their types.

From an estate sale 10 yrs ago...that means they could have been personally found as much as 70 yrs ago....
That sounds about right for the great "easy" finds in TX...ties in with the "old timers" telling of filling buckets with worked flint of all descriptions just surfacing.

Wonder what museum the buyers were from ? The native American exibits in even the best museums have minimal flint samples. Many universities DO have huge artifact collections that they keep in wood crates in a secure storage area.

Hey Hal, in regards to your comment about which museum... I was around 14 yrs old, maybe younger, when I acquired these so I don't rememeber all the details but I do remember that everytime these couple guys won the bidding on one the auctioner would say "and there is another one going for display at the museum". This is why I assumed they were there for a museum- not sure which one, maybe a large one nearby in DFW or elsewhere. It was a 2 day event with lots of artifacts amongst everything thing else going up for bid.

Where do you all keep your best pieces... Display vs bank vault vs gun/fire safe, etc? Reason I ask, if these are indeed G10 or G10+ I should probably get them off of the top of my desk and into my gun safe. Living in Houston, you never know when you might get robbed- even though I doubt a typical robber would steel them.lol

Thanks for all the replies